100 SCY FREE Breathing Pattern/Strategy

Looking for recommendations on a breathing pattern for the 100 Free scy. Two ideas I had were... The first 50 will be faster than the second 50, would it make sense to breath more on the second 50 - the thought being, a breath at a faster speed will have more of a detrimental effect than a breath at a slower speed due to higher drag. Alternatively, it's easier to restrict breathing early on in the race so would it make sense to breath more as the race progresses?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    This is very interesting when you consider he takes his 50 out in the 100 so fast. Is there really any empirical evidence at all that says breathing slows you down? I have a feeling it's one of those things that has been assumed to be true for so long that everyone just believes it. I actually get dizzy when I go all out and try to breathe every cycle. Your comment did make me wonder, though, and I think I'm going to experiment in my workouts with higher breathing frequencies on 50s. I already know that breathing a lot is particularly useful in long course, where you'll see even the fastest men losing a lot of speed in the last 5m.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    This is very interesting when you consider he takes his 50 out in the 100 so fast. Is there really any empirical evidence at all that says breathing slows you down? I have a feeling it's one of those things that has been assumed to be true for so long that everyone just believes it. I actually get dizzy when I go all out and try to breathe every cycle. Your comment did make me wonder, though, and I think I'm going to experiment in my workouts with higher breathing frequencies on 50s. I already know that breathing a lot is particularly useful in long course, where you'll see even the fastest men losing a lot of speed in the last 5m.
Children
No Data