100 SCY FREE Breathing Pattern/Strategy

Looking for recommendations on a breathing pattern for the 100 Free scy. Two ideas I had were... The first 50 will be faster than the second 50, would it make sense to breath more on the second 50 - the thought being, a breath at a faster speed will have more of a detrimental effect than a breath at a slower speed due to higher drag. Alternatively, it's easier to restrict breathing early on in the race so would it make sense to breath more as the race progresses?
Parents
  • I generally don't do the 100 free anymore...because I totally suck at all things freestyle now...but I used to do it back in the day. :D I used to do a 5/2 breathing pattern on the first 50 and a 3/2 breathing pattern on the second 50. Probably not the most efficient way to go about it, but it gave me sufficient oxygen both at the beginning and end of the race. Lately, though, I've been halfheartedly experimenting with galloping and a 4/2 breathing pattern to my right. Doesn't change the fact that I'm an abysmal freestyler, and has taken quite a bit of getting used to to overcome 17 years of bilateral breathing, but I'm starting to like how it feels when I race. Like with my old 5/2 and 3/2 breathing pattern (which is what I stick to in training when I'm not sprinting, btw), I have no empirical evidence of it being better than any other breathing pattern, but making the shift to only breathing on one side has at least had a mental effect on my swimming.
  • I generally don't do the 100 free anymore...because I totally suck at all things freestyle now...but I used to do it back in the day. :D I used to do a 5/2 breathing pattern on the first 50 and a 3/2 breathing pattern on the second 50. Probably not the most efficient way to go about it, but it gave me sufficient oxygen both at the beginning and end of the race. Lately, though, I've been halfheartedly experimenting with galloping and a 4/2 breathing pattern to my right. Doesn't change the fact that I'm an abysmal freestyler, and has taken quite a bit of getting used to to overcome 17 years of bilateral breathing, but I'm starting to like how it feels when I race. Like with my old 5/2 and 3/2 breathing pattern (which is what I stick to in training when I'm not sprinting, btw), I have no empirical evidence of it being better than any other breathing pattern, but making the shift to only breathing on one side has at least had a mental effect on my swimming.
Children
No Data