Builder Intensity / Pace > 25 ??

Former Member
Former Member
I am very new to learning workouts. Just started swimming 6mos ago and only ever did free distance and focused on developing/maintaining decent mechanics. Enough swimmers mentioned I have decent mechanics and finally convinced me it was time to add workouts to my routine. Great idea, I definitely enjoy the challenge so far. This week I started going through a few workouts provided by a local USMS coach - and I've already asked him enough stupid questions, now I will here (sorry!) I also could not find anything in the search, but I am perpetually a terrible forum searcher. I do honestly try. I am still learning my paces - I know that will improve with practice. Up until this week, my only pace was a 1:45-50 100 for 2400yds because that's all I ever did. I would like to hear others advice on how they swim a builder set. I struggle with the rate at which I increase the intensity on anything beyond 25. In 25, I start slow, gradually increase intensity with every other stroke until I am almost at a sprint at 25. How do you swim these > 25? Am I even swimming the 25 builder correct? Use the very first 1x100 as an example for the question. I find myself too slow in the 1st 25 and ripping the entire last 25. What initial pace do you start with and how to you slowly increase the intensity until you get to 100? Should I try to start relaxed and smooth, and then increase the intensity for each 25, but maintain that intensity through the 25, eventually decreasing each 25 time by 1-3 sec until 100? FR builder. 1200 3 x 100 on 2:10 --- FR relaxed and smooth 4 x 75 on 1:40 --- FR HOLD PACE 2 x 100 on 2:10 --- FR relaxed and smooth 4 x 50 on 1:10 --- FR HOLD FASTER PACE 1 x 100 on 2:10 --- FR relaxed and smooth 4 x 25 on :40 --- FR ALL - FAST! One other dumb question. I swim in two pools, the masters wed & fri then my local gym pool throughout the week. Is there any reason the digital MM:SS clocks at each end of the gym pool are different by ~20-30 sec? They are identical in the pool that holds the masters workouts. BTW, I absolutely love swimming and am happy I started going one day. I am now addicted. Thank you in advance!