Freestyle is EXHAUSTING...videos looking for tips

Former Member
Former Member
I am very much not a swimmer, but I am starting to love it. My goal is to compete in triathlons and being a runner this swimming thing is a lot harder to pick up than I thought it would be. After I do a 100 I'm so out of breath and exhausted that I think I must have some serious form issues. I'm working with a coach but only have 5 lessons and I've done 3 so far just to get me to this point (believe it or not this is actually much better than I started). I'm hoping to spread out my last two so that I can make some more progress and he can just refine my stroke. I'm definitely not very strong in my upper body so I'm sure there's a fitness aspect to it but for as tired as I am there has to be more to it than just that. Thanks in advance! www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • To me it just looks like you aren't 100% comfortable integrating breathing in with the rest of your stroke, so sometimes there's a slight pause. I think the best way to work on this is just to practice it more. All of the above comments by others are right on. I coach many triathletes and your swimming faults are pretty much common as are the corrections being offered by others. The only thing I want to add at this point regards to your breathing. You are correct in saying your breath is a bit late. Also you are over rotating and lifting your head too high. Try to roll your head more but keep the lower goggle in the water. Have all your breath exhaled underwater so you can inhale quicker and get your head back down. Also I noticed you started off taking a breath each four arms stokes or two cycles. Than when you tired you went to one breath per arm cycle. Start off at one breath per arm cycle. This will help put off the oxygen debt a bit longer. You wouldn't hold your breath on the biking or running legs would you?
  • To me it just looks like you aren't 100% comfortable integrating breathing in with the rest of your stroke, so sometimes there's a slight pause. I think the best way to work on this is just to practice it more. All of the above comments by others are right on. I coach many triathletes and your swimming faults are pretty much common as are the corrections being offered by others. The only thing I want to add at this point regards to your breathing. You are correct in saying your breath is a bit late. Also you are over rotating and lifting your head too high. Try to roll your head more but keep the lower goggle in the water. Have all your breath exhaled underwater so you can inhale quicker and get your head back down. Also I noticed you started off taking a breath each four arms stokes or two cycles. Than when you tired you went to one breath per arm cycle. Start off at one breath per arm cycle. This will help put off the oxygen debt a bit longer. You wouldn't hold your breath on the biking or running legs would you?
Children
No Data