How to improve recovery(rest) time between 50's etc.

Hi all, My question: What, if anything, can I do to reduce the time it takes me to recover after a 50yd free swim? It's currently taking me a full minute after swimming 50 freestyle in 1:05, obviously I'd like to reduce my recovery time a lot. I'm a 69yr old female, swam as a child, self-taught (no proper technique) and stopped at about age 14; for the last 6 months I've been swimming seriously, learning proper stroke technique etc. with a coach. I'm 40lbs overweight, dieting healthfully and losing 2 - 2.5lbs a week. I swim 75 minutes 3 x week as part of a group with a coach and 45 - 60 minutes 2 x week on my own. I also do 45 minutes of strength training 2 x week with a personal trainer. Am I being impatient? Will a certain type of nutrition consumed at specific times in relation to workout help? Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Pam
Parents
  • Pam Congrats on getting back in the pool!! Gary had some great points. Here's another thought that goes along with his suggestions. Maybe you are trying to go too fast in your 50 repeats. Is the 1:05 an all out effort (100%) or more of an 80% effort? What's your average 50 time when you do a continuous swim of 50 yds or more? Time yourself for a 500 or 1000 yard swim and calculate your average 50 time. Add 25 seconds (or 30 ) to that time and see it you can do repeats.
  • Pam Congrats on getting back in the pool!! Gary had some great points. Here's another thought that goes along with his suggestions. Maybe you are trying to go too fast in your 50 repeats. Is the 1:05 an all out effort (100%) or more of an 80% effort? What's your average 50 time when you do a continuous swim of 50 yds or more? Time yourself for a 500 or 1000 yard swim and calculate your average 50 time. Add 25 seconds (or 30 ) to that time and see it you can do repeats.
Children
No Data