How to improve recovery(rest) time between 50's etc.

Hi all, My question: What, if anything, can I do to reduce the time it takes me to recover after a 50yd free swim? It's currently taking me a full minute after swimming 50 freestyle in 1:05, obviously I'd like to reduce my recovery time a lot. I'm a 69yr old female, swam as a child, self-taught (no proper technique) and stopped at about age 14; for the last 6 months I've been swimming seriously, learning proper stroke technique etc. with a coach. I'm 40lbs overweight, dieting healthfully and losing 2 - 2.5lbs a week. I swim 75 minutes 3 x week as part of a group with a coach and 45 - 60 minutes 2 x week on my own. I also do 45 minutes of strength training 2 x week with a personal trainer. Am I being impatient? Will a certain type of nutrition consumed at specific times in relation to workout help? Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Pam
Parents
  • Thanks Gary, I do tend to let my form get sloppy when I'm using the clock. I guess I was hoping for a "magic" quick-fix of some sort. Your suggestion makes sense and I know it'll make my coach happy (smile). I'll pay attention to my technique and not worry about trying to swim my fastest. I like the idea of reducing the amount of rest time a little bit at a time also. Thanks again for the encouragement - I'm really glad I started swimming seriously, but I do wish I'd done it years ago (chuckle). Pam
  • Thanks Gary, I do tend to let my form get sloppy when I'm using the clock. I guess I was hoping for a "magic" quick-fix of some sort. Your suggestion makes sense and I know it'll make my coach happy (smile). I'll pay attention to my technique and not worry about trying to swim my fastest. I like the idea of reducing the amount of rest time a little bit at a time also. Thanks again for the encouragement - I'm really glad I started swimming seriously, but I do wish I'd done it years ago (chuckle). Pam
Children
No Data