Improvement strategy

Former Member
Former Member
Hello...I love swimming b/c you can always work on your technique each time. I started enjoying swimming watching the sunset in the ocean, then I swam 5 minutes before sunset, then 10 minutes, next thing I'm swimming a mile. The ocean taught me bi-lateral and swimming strong. A year in, I took a deep look at my technique and realized the ocean forced me into a very good technique for someone with zero teaching. I feel like I haul serious a__ in the water and I've run into many swimmers in the ocean that cannot keep up with me. I just timed my mile swim and it is about 30 minutes so I looked that up and was surprised how freaking fast others are swimming a mile, wow! I can't imagine swimming a mile in under 25min but it looks like that can be achieved. I don't compete I just swim for fun, but love it. I do a 2 beat kick, and have recently read a 6 beat could speed me up. I feel like when I do a 6 beat I am swimming slower unless I really work the 6 beat kicks hard to which I get exhausted really fast. Even a casual 6 beat seems to be much more taxing on my breathing, abs, and hip flexors than the 2 beat. Can I get under 25min with a 2 beat? Should I start doing a 6 beat? Any suggestions to remove 5 minutes from my time? I'd really like to continue the 2 beat, but if the 6 beat removes minutes I will explore that. Thanks.
Parents
  • Also, am I better off swimming as fast as I can for 1 mile or swimming 2 miles normal to gain better speed? Neither.You will swim faster faster going intervals.As Steve says,you can look into USRPT, but I'd suggest you start by swimming something like 15X100 with 15 sec between 100s.Start at an easy pace and then try to make each 100 faster than the one before.
  • Also, am I better off swimming as fast as I can for 1 mile or swimming 2 miles normal to gain better speed? Neither.You will swim faster faster going intervals.As Steve says,you can look into USRPT, but I'd suggest you start by swimming something like 15X100 with 15 sec between 100s.Start at an easy pace and then try to make each 100 faster than the one before.
Children
No Data