Post-Grads in U.S. Masters Swimming Events

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, We're looking to get some input from Masters swimmers and coaches on the age old question whether someone who is a professional or post-grad swimmer belongs in U.S. Masters Swimming events going after Masters records. Curious to get your thoughts! We may ask you to be in a future issue of Swimming World. Jason Marsteller Swimming World
  • Masters Swimming is for EVERYONE age 18 and over.
  • Its a mixed bag type of question. Yes, if they are over 18 then they qualify for Masters. I agree that most of us will never swim as fast as them, however, a few that I have met in swim meets, locally, have been kind to respond to questions about swimming. Persons like myself are able to get feedback on swimming technique, style, training, etc. Should Masters develop elite events for persons such as those? Would advise against it as it defeats the core reason Masters exists. Now, how about an exhibition event between these athletes? That would be nice.
  • Yes - open to all. I still would like to bike ride with Lance.
  • I am going to link 2 interesting discussion threads on this subject that was discussed in the last year with Kurt Nelson stating the threads. forums.usms.org/showthread.php forums.usms.org/showthread.php
  • Absolutely. It is really enjoyable to see the elites at our meets. Even better to say I swam in the same event or even the same heat. I will never be accused of being very fast, so like most masters, the record or national champion question is moot for me.
  • We love to watch fast swimming. We fully welcome pro, post grad & elite swimmers in masters. Many masters records are very hard to break, because a post grad already broke it. Many of the Mens 25 - 29 SCY records are just insane. www.usms.org/.../records.php Good luck to those who attempt to break em. Several of the distance records seem the softer or easier to break. I love it when former greats drop in our workouts at Longhorn masters and a few are now regulars. Hi all, We're looking to get some input from Masters swimmers and coaches on the age old question whether someone who is a professional or post-grad swimmer belongs in U.S. Masters Swimming events going after Masters records. Curious to get your thoughts! We may ask you to be in a future issue of Swimming World. Jason Marsteller Swimming World
  • Masters Swimming is for EVERYONE age 18 and over.I think it’s great that our sports most elite athletes are members of U.S. Masters Swimming and will periodically show up at meets. As for breaking records, this past year Tom Shields broke my son’s USMS national record in the 18-24 50 fly. There was no disturbance in the Force and my son could care less. For those who don’t know him, Shields also holds the USA Swimming American record in the SCM 50, 100 and 200 fly. He represents the USA on international teams and hopefully will be on the 2016 Olympic team. I don’t think anyone besides my wife and I shed a tear at the new record. And I encourage the rest of you swim parents to not lose hope, if your children can’t break the record of a NCAA champion in his prime, maybe they can crush him when he’s 84.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    To be honest I think diffrent in this issue. Somebody who is a professional swimmer and is swimming on international events for a national team doesn't belong in masters events and should not be able to hold any masters records. It is like a indy-car driver who will start in a recreation run.
  • Hi all, We're looking to get some input from Masters swimmers and coaches on the age old question whether someone who is a professional or post-grad swimmer belongs in U.S. Masters Swimming events going after Masters records. Curious to get your thoughts! We may ask you to be in a future issue of Swimming World. Jason Marsteller Swimming WorldJason, I really hope that Swimming World doesn't diminish itself and its focus on competition by addressing this question. All are welcome and MORE are welcome. Come one, come all and race! If there is a problem within USMS that needs to be addressed relative to competition, it's not one of having "too much" competition at the meets. I think it's the opposite - why don't we have a larger percentage of the USMS membership competing? When I compare the turnout at my wife's local running events versus our local Masters meets, it's an order of magnitude difference. When I talk to many USMS coaches, many of whom try to encourage their members to compete, many of them complain about a lack of desire by their members to compete. I think the question to address is why so many Masters swimmers do not compete?
  • And I don't think this is even a negative. A record that restricts the fastest swimmers from holding it ain't much of a record! Personally the idea of a "tallest dwarf" competition doesn't sound that interesting. What Kirk said! There is a time/age element to such a restriction on pro/post-grad/Olympians that would be very difficult to construct in a way that would make any sense. Would it be: once a pro/post-grad/Olympian, always one and your restricted for life. That would make no sense and would discourage great swimmers from continuing to swim, how ridiculous would that be. At what point in time would the restriction stop and how would that make sense.