Post-Grads in U.S. Masters Swimming Events

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, We're looking to get some input from Masters swimmers and coaches on the age old question whether someone who is a professional or post-grad swimmer belongs in U.S. Masters Swimming events going after Masters records. Curious to get your thoughts! We may ask you to be in a future issue of Swimming World. Jason Marsteller Swimming World
Parents
  • I would assume the coach just believes people have their reasons. I think it's great for coaches to encourage swimmers to compete, but on the other hand, they probably don't want to discourage those who aren't interested in competing. We have a fairly large group of masters swimmers yet at spring nationals in Indianapolis in 2013 I was one of two team members Who competed. Our coach has been encouraging everyone to compete and at world's last year we had 9 swimmers and it looks like we will have 25+ at the upcoming Spring nationals. I have heard my own team mates fearing the unknowns associated with a masters meet. The most common reasons my team mates are reluctant to compete is they feel like they are not fast enough and they don't want to be embarrassed either not finishing a race or being disqualified. Our whole team has been encouraging people to compete and we have held after meet parties to share experiences and talk about how fun the meets are. We are planning to have a great time in San Antonio and our number one team goal is to have fun. On the original question I think everyone should be eligible and I believe a record is a record no matter where and under whose sanction it occurred. I swim USAS pretty frequently and have had several swims where the pool is not on USMS record for measurement and the times don't qualify for top 10. I find this a little silly since the pool is sanctioned by usas and the pools measurements are on record with them. At the end of the day it's more annoying than anything else and really not a big deal but thought I would share.
  • I would assume the coach just believes people have their reasons. I think it's great for coaches to encourage swimmers to compete, but on the other hand, they probably don't want to discourage those who aren't interested in competing. We have a fairly large group of masters swimmers yet at spring nationals in Indianapolis in 2013 I was one of two team members Who competed. Our coach has been encouraging everyone to compete and at world's last year we had 9 swimmers and it looks like we will have 25+ at the upcoming Spring nationals. I have heard my own team mates fearing the unknowns associated with a masters meet. The most common reasons my team mates are reluctant to compete is they feel like they are not fast enough and they don't want to be embarrassed either not finishing a race or being disqualified. Our whole team has been encouraging people to compete and we have held after meet parties to share experiences and talk about how fun the meets are. We are planning to have a great time in San Antonio and our number one team goal is to have fun. On the original question I think everyone should be eligible and I believe a record is a record no matter where and under whose sanction it occurred. I swim USAS pretty frequently and have had several swims where the pool is not on USMS record for measurement and the times don't qualify for top 10. I find this a little silly since the pool is sanctioned by usas and the pools measurements are on record with them. At the end of the day it's more annoying than anything else and really not a big deal but thought I would share.
Children
No Data