Post-Grads in U.S. Masters Swimming Events

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, We're looking to get some input from Masters swimmers and coaches on the age old question whether someone who is a professional or post-grad swimmer belongs in U.S. Masters Swimming events going after Masters records. Curious to get your thoughts! We may ask you to be in a future issue of Swimming World. Jason Marsteller Swimming World
Parents
  • +1 People have no problem running a 5k simultaneously with people who literally run it in half their time. Is it the blocks, getting up there with no more than nine other people, with no crowd to hide in? I don't get it. No matter how badly I get beat - and I've been beaten pretty badly, by world record holders, two Olympians in the same heat once, NCAA champions, women, men - all I ever get is positivity afterward. The anonymity of running in a huge crowd is much less threatening than standing on the blocks in a swimsuit with only 7 other swimmers in your heat. No one would really notice if you started walking or dropped out of the race completely in a 5k. You'd be much more likely to feel on display if that happened in a swim meet. I completely understand why newer swimmers are intimidated by meets. That said, I think it would be crazy to disallow people because they are "too fast."
  • +1 People have no problem running a 5k simultaneously with people who literally run it in half their time. Is it the blocks, getting up there with no more than nine other people, with no crowd to hide in? I don't get it. No matter how badly I get beat - and I've been beaten pretty badly, by world record holders, two Olympians in the same heat once, NCAA champions, women, men - all I ever get is positivity afterward. The anonymity of running in a huge crowd is much less threatening than standing on the blocks in a swimsuit with only 7 other swimmers in your heat. No one would really notice if you started walking or dropped out of the race completely in a 5k. You'd be much more likely to feel on display if that happened in a swim meet. I completely understand why newer swimmers are intimidated by meets. That said, I think it would be crazy to disallow people because they are "too fast."
Children
No Data