IM workouts: pure IM or stroke focus

Former Member
Former Member
For those of you that do IM, do you focus on doing IM only in your main sets or do you focus on one or two strokes each time? I have recently started swimming the IM and love it but want to get much faster. I know my backstroke and breaststroke are slowing me down. I am not sure if I should focus on those once a week or something or just keep swimming IMs since that is what I want to race.
Parents
  • Sry for the question but what IM stands for ? In the context of this thread, IM = Individual Medley. A race where people swim butterfly, then backstroke, then breaststroke, then freestyle. Or alternatively, swimming the strokes in that order in training. An Individual Medley can be 100 yards/meters (25y/m of each stroke), 200y/m (50y/m of each stroke) or 400y/m (100y/m of each stroke). People sometimes swim Medleys longer than 400m because they can, but they're not recognized events by FINA (international governing body of swimming) Irrelevant to this thread: IM can also mean Ironman triathlon - a 2.4 mile open water swim, followed by a 112 mile cycle, followed by a full marathon (26.2 miles), in under 17 hours.
  • Sry for the question but what IM stands for ? In the context of this thread, IM = Individual Medley. A race where people swim butterfly, then backstroke, then breaststroke, then freestyle. Or alternatively, swimming the strokes in that order in training. An Individual Medley can be 100 yards/meters (25y/m of each stroke), 200y/m (50y/m of each stroke) or 400y/m (100y/m of each stroke). People sometimes swim Medleys longer than 400m because they can, but they're not recognized events by FINA (international governing body of swimming) Irrelevant to this thread: IM can also mean Ironman triathlon - a 2.4 mile open water swim, followed by a 112 mile cycle, followed by a full marathon (26.2 miles), in under 17 hours.
Children
No Data