IM workouts: pure IM or stroke focus

Former Member
Former Member
For those of you that do IM, do you focus on doing IM only in your main sets or do you focus on one or two strokes each time? I have recently started swimming the IM and love it but want to get much faster. I know my backstroke and breaststroke are slowing me down. I am not sure if I should focus on those once a week or something or just keep swimming IMs since that is what I want to race.
Parents
  • Since you identified two strokes that need a lot of improvement, I would recommend doing strokework on your back and br. You won't swim your best IM until you are comfortable with your skill level in all strokes. I was in a similar boat -- I love 100 IM, but my backstroke has never been good. To work on both my stroke and IM at the same time, every practice after warming up, I would do a broken 200 of each stroke. Drills and kicks and some full stroke. Then I would do some sort of speed set, which many days included IMs, or a slow and easy 800 IM where I just worked to hold each stroke together. My backstroke improved greatly to where now my slowest length is usually ***, which I am supposedly good at. This helped me go from struggling to break 1:10 to swimming a pretty consistent 1:07 for a while. Not blazing fast, but better than I ever expected.
  • Since you identified two strokes that need a lot of improvement, I would recommend doing strokework on your back and br. You won't swim your best IM until you are comfortable with your skill level in all strokes. I was in a similar boat -- I love 100 IM, but my backstroke has never been good. To work on both my stroke and IM at the same time, every practice after warming up, I would do a broken 200 of each stroke. Drills and kicks and some full stroke. Then I would do some sort of speed set, which many days included IMs, or a slow and easy 800 IM where I just worked to hold each stroke together. My backstroke improved greatly to where now my slowest length is usually ***, which I am supposedly good at. This helped me go from struggling to break 1:10 to swimming a pretty consistent 1:07 for a while. Not blazing fast, but better than I ever expected.
Children
No Data