IM workouts: pure IM or stroke focus

Former Member
Former Member
For those of you that do IM, do you focus on doing IM only in your main sets or do you focus on one or two strokes each time? I have recently started swimming the IM and love it but want to get much faster. I know my backstroke and breaststroke are slowing me down. I am not sure if I should focus on those once a week or something or just keep swimming IMs since that is what I want to race.
Parents
  • Short answer - do both. Slightly longer answer - the axis-switching nature of the stroke changes, at least for me, means it is important to do a lot of IM training if I want to swim fast in IM races. For example, if I do a 200 breaststroke in a workout, my third 50 will almost always feel "smoother" and better than if I was to do a 200 IM. So, I tend to do more IM work that straight stroke work. Caveats: Beyond a 25 and maybe a 50 of fly in a workout, my stroke falls apart, so I rarely train fly repeats in workout at longer distances than that except when I do a 400 IM. So, I rarely train much fly at distance. On the other end of the spectrum, I will do many freestyle repeats at longer distances ... for no other reason than I can do them.
  • Short answer - do both. Slightly longer answer - the axis-switching nature of the stroke changes, at least for me, means it is important to do a lot of IM training if I want to swim fast in IM races. For example, if I do a 200 breaststroke in a workout, my third 50 will almost always feel "smoother" and better than if I was to do a 200 IM. So, I tend to do more IM work that straight stroke work. Caveats: Beyond a 25 and maybe a 50 of fly in a workout, my stroke falls apart, so I rarely train fly repeats in workout at longer distances than that except when I do a 400 IM. So, I rarely train much fly at distance. On the other end of the spectrum, I will do many freestyle repeats at longer distances ... for no other reason than I can do them.
Children
No Data