Training for 500 Free

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, all: I just recently joined these forums but was hoping I could get some tips on how to improve my 500 free. My current times lie around 5:40 (PR is 5:35), usually with my split from a dive being around 28.00 then having the rest of my splits level off to around 34.00-35.00. My goal is to have my time down to a 5:25 by memorial day weekend (15 weeks), and eventually down to under 5:00, although I haven't set a time for that. I currently swim 3800-4200 5 days a week with no real focus in my workouts. I plan to up my workouts gradually so that I'm swimming around 30,000 yards a week (up from 20,000). What things should I be focusing on in my workouts to help my splits? Are there any specific aspects of swimming that I should be focusing on for the 500? Thanks, bow
Parents
  • Hi Bow, It sounds like you're already working hard. If I were your coach, I would advise you to work smarter in your existing practices rather than adding more workouts. Bodies need rest, and it's better to do fewer practices with excellent technique than to do more yardage and practices with poor technique. In a short course 500 free, turns can make a huge difference. Can you find ways to do them better? Your streamline, your breakout, your pushoff. Rather than do extra practices, I would work every single streamline off the wall during your current practices. Are you doing dolphin kicks off the wall? Are you getting a nice line off the wall that enables you to get the most from your pushoff by minimizing resistance? Then there is the whole area of stroke technique. Can your coach take a look and offer some tips? How is your body position? Are your hips high? Where are your eyes focused? So much to think about, which makes the sport so interesting. You mentioned you do mainly freestyle. I would also suggest adding different strokes to your repertoire. For variety, fun, and to prevent injury from too much repetitive motion. Backstroke, for example, is a great complement to freestyle. Finally, high school swimming should be fun. It's a place where you can make lifelong friends. Relays are the best. Practice relay starts with your teammates, cheer for your teammates, and enjoy those duel meets. Best wishes, have fun, and please keep us posted!
  • Hi Bow, It sounds like you're already working hard. If I were your coach, I would advise you to work smarter in your existing practices rather than adding more workouts. Bodies need rest, and it's better to do fewer practices with excellent technique than to do more yardage and practices with poor technique. In a short course 500 free, turns can make a huge difference. Can you find ways to do them better? Your streamline, your breakout, your pushoff. Rather than do extra practices, I would work every single streamline off the wall during your current practices. Are you doing dolphin kicks off the wall? Are you getting a nice line off the wall that enables you to get the most from your pushoff by minimizing resistance? Then there is the whole area of stroke technique. Can your coach take a look and offer some tips? How is your body position? Are your hips high? Where are your eyes focused? So much to think about, which makes the sport so interesting. You mentioned you do mainly freestyle. I would also suggest adding different strokes to your repertoire. For variety, fun, and to prevent injury from too much repetitive motion. Backstroke, for example, is a great complement to freestyle. Finally, high school swimming should be fun. It's a place where you can make lifelong friends. Relays are the best. Practice relay starts with your teammates, cheer for your teammates, and enjoy those duel meets. Best wishes, have fun, and please keep us posted!
Children
No Data