Training for 500 Free

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, all: I just recently joined these forums but was hoping I could get some tips on how to improve my 500 free. My current times lie around 5:40 (PR is 5:35), usually with my split from a dive being around 28.00 then having the rest of my splits level off to around 34.00-35.00. My goal is to have my time down to a 5:25 by memorial day weekend (15 weeks), and eventually down to under 5:00, although I haven't set a time for that. I currently swim 3800-4200 5 days a week with no real focus in my workouts. I plan to up my workouts gradually so that I'm swimming around 30,000 yards a week (up from 20,000). What things should I be focusing on in my workouts to help my splits? Are there any specific aspects of swimming that I should be focusing on for the 500? Thanks, bow
Parents
  • I have a few questions about your original post. First…when you say “500 free”…is that yards or meters? The reason I ask is because you refer to your weekly total as “yards” and I think there’s noticeable difference between the 500y and 500m race distance. Secondly, I’m kind of curious what your age is too? And, is that weekly total all toward 500 free training? Do you train/race other strokes? And although I think there’s merit for a young swimmer to specialize in this manner (if he/she wants to)…there are many in these forums who’ll argue that specializing at the high school level is ill advised. Dan
  • I have a few questions about your original post. First…when you say “500 free”…is that yards or meters? The reason I ask is because you refer to your weekly total as “yards” and I think there’s noticeable difference between the 500y and 500m race distance. Secondly, I’m kind of curious what your age is too? And, is that weekly total all toward 500 free training? Do you train/race other strokes? And although I think there’s merit for a young swimmer to specialize in this manner (if he/she wants to)…there are many in these forums who’ll argue that specializing at the high school level is ill advised. Dan
Children
No Data