Training for 100 and 200 breaststroke?

Any advice on how to train for a 100 and 200 breaststroke? I don't get to do a lot of breaststroke in practice with my team. But I swim on my own once a week, so I'd like to add a set specific to the 100 and 200 breaststroke, especially the 200. So I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to train for that event. 200 breaststroke is my best and favorite event, but I've not raced much since I was a kid, so I never put any thought into training specifically for it. Thanks!
Parents
  • Thanks, everyone for your replies and set suggestions! Don't get mad at my "freestyle-centric" coach...he does a great job and also gives a lot of choice sets...I just don't like to be the only one swimming breaststroke and losing out on precious rest. But with a little creativity, I can definitely get in more breaststroke during my workouts with my team. Alan, yes my knee is also a little twitchy. I only do breaststroke after a long warmup, and I've been doing some different dryland exercises recommended by a physical therapist to strengthen and stabilize. So I don't have knee pain, but I'm definitely mindful of changes and joint health as I get older. Today happened to be the day I swim on my own, and I tried PWB's workout. I printed it and brought it to the pool, then realized I didn't understand some of the lingo...and I don't know my base times. There is definitely a learning curve...which is good, because it make things interesting. So I will have to look up some of the terms (Indiana IM kick?!?) and figure out this whole base time concept. (Our coach had me figure out a 100 free base in the fall, but I need to do the same for strokes.) I ended up instead doing Alan's 5x300 breaststroke set (except I only did 3 because I ran out of time.) I really liked the set. I used my split from the second 100 of my most recent 200 breaststroke race as a base time. I was two seconds slower on the first one, one second slower on the second one, and I hit it on the third one. I do find it hard to stay relaxed when I'm trying to swim at race pace, but that will hopefully come easier with practice. Thanks again!
  • Thanks, everyone for your replies and set suggestions! Don't get mad at my "freestyle-centric" coach...he does a great job and also gives a lot of choice sets...I just don't like to be the only one swimming breaststroke and losing out on precious rest. But with a little creativity, I can definitely get in more breaststroke during my workouts with my team. Alan, yes my knee is also a little twitchy. I only do breaststroke after a long warmup, and I've been doing some different dryland exercises recommended by a physical therapist to strengthen and stabilize. So I don't have knee pain, but I'm definitely mindful of changes and joint health as I get older. Today happened to be the day I swim on my own, and I tried PWB's workout. I printed it and brought it to the pool, then realized I didn't understand some of the lingo...and I don't know my base times. There is definitely a learning curve...which is good, because it make things interesting. So I will have to look up some of the terms (Indiana IM kick?!?) and figure out this whole base time concept. (Our coach had me figure out a 100 free base in the fall, but I need to do the same for strokes.) I ended up instead doing Alan's 5x300 breaststroke set (except I only did 3 because I ran out of time.) I really liked the set. I used my split from the second 100 of my most recent 200 breaststroke race as a base time. I was two seconds slower on the first one, one second slower on the second one, and I hit it on the third one. I do find it hard to stay relaxed when I'm trying to swim at race pace, but that will hopefully come easier with practice. Thanks again!
Children
No Data