Swimming for fitness, long way to go

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I swam competitively Freshman year in high school and got in shape for the first time in my life! Since then I've sometimes been in good condition as a long-distance runner (13 miles) and occasionally swimming regularly, but mostly I've let myself go and gained weight till I reached 35 BMI at 55 years of age. Now I'm serious about getting back in shape. On account of major foot surgery I can't run anymore so swimming is my main exercise, with some strength training and leg aerobics on off days. For the first time in my life, I am eating healthy and keeping track of all my calories, carbs, essential fatty acids, etc. Starting in November, I've been increasing my endurance to the point where I am now doing 1.5 miles in a little over an hour (7 x 350 yards freestyle plus a few cool down laps). I've lost 29 lbs but still have a long way to go. Planning on losing another 47 lbs to no longer be 'overweight' on the BMI scale. I plan on working my way up to 3 miles for long-distance work-outs once a week (Saturday or Sunday) and then doing interval training with some sprints during the weekdays, augmented by strength training. I'm looking for advice, encouragement, and others who are working to achieve fitness goals through swimming. Anyone else doing something similar? Success stories? Thanks, robrecht!
Parents
  • Just stumble across this thread as I usually do not look in the workout forum. You might get more responses from the main swimming forum. forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php As far as; "I'm looking for advice, encouragement, and others who are working to achieve fitness goals through swimming. Anyone else doing something similar? Success stories? " Sure, here is my story. I swam 3 years in high school in the 80's. Forgot about swimming and recently came back to it almost 30 years later. After high school I was somewhat active but definitely became overweight. A few years ago I got serious and got back on track. Started slowly, swimming a couple days a week and built up distances and swims per week. Over time I lost a lot of fat and gained some muscle and am now teetering on between "normal weight" and "overweight" on the BMI scale. However you should note that the BMI scale does NOT take into account athletes with higher amounts of muscle mass. Currently I swim alone, but am considering joining a masters team. I don't mind swimming alone as I can make up my own workouts and go to the pool on my schedule. However some people need more structure and want a social part to their workout. Finding what works for you is most important. If you enjoy what you do, then you are more likely to stick with it. For example I am very goal oriented, trying to hit a certain amount of yardage per week\month\year helped me get to the pool. I started using the FLOG and charted my swims, but you can do that with any spreadsheet or even writing it down in a notebook. Now I have other goals and started competing in swim meets. Meets can seem intimidating to some, but my main focus is reaching my goal time in a certain event. There is a nice social part to meets as well. Meeting people and possibly hooking up with a workout group or team that has similar goals as you. Keep swimming! -Mark
  • Just stumble across this thread as I usually do not look in the workout forum. You might get more responses from the main swimming forum. forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php As far as; "I'm looking for advice, encouragement, and others who are working to achieve fitness goals through swimming. Anyone else doing something similar? Success stories? " Sure, here is my story. I swam 3 years in high school in the 80's. Forgot about swimming and recently came back to it almost 30 years later. After high school I was somewhat active but definitely became overweight. A few years ago I got serious and got back on track. Started slowly, swimming a couple days a week and built up distances and swims per week. Over time I lost a lot of fat and gained some muscle and am now teetering on between "normal weight" and "overweight" on the BMI scale. However you should note that the BMI scale does NOT take into account athletes with higher amounts of muscle mass. Currently I swim alone, but am considering joining a masters team. I don't mind swimming alone as I can make up my own workouts and go to the pool on my schedule. However some people need more structure and want a social part to their workout. Finding what works for you is most important. If you enjoy what you do, then you are more likely to stick with it. For example I am very goal oriented, trying to hit a certain amount of yardage per week\month\year helped me get to the pool. I started using the FLOG and charted my swims, but you can do that with any spreadsheet or even writing it down in a notebook. Now I have other goals and started competing in swim meets. Meets can seem intimidating to some, but my main focus is reaching my goal time in a certain event. There is a nice social part to meets as well. Meeting people and possibly hooking up with a workout group or team that has similar goals as you. Keep swimming! -Mark
Children
No Data