Your Weekly Yardage for 50+ age

Former Member
Former Member
I added wrong! I've been swimming 14,000 yards per week for the last 15 years, not 30,000! :afraid:I recently hit 60 and have begun to wonder if my times would improve if I did less yards and incorporated more quality workouts in. Since I have a bit of OCD, I would like your input for those 50 and over. How many yards a week do you put in?
Parents
  • Elaine, hi. I'm a former competitive runner. I never enjoyed competing. I don't compete as a swimmer. I had to edit my post--my total yards per week is 14,000 (I miscalculated!) No injuries, mainly b/c I do all strokes and lots of kick drills. I'm definitely not a sprinter. Like running, I'm more a distance athlete. Ok, that makes a big difference! Now that I have read this post, I would refer you to the posts below by The Fortress and knelson. They both make excellent points. Meanwhile, I think it's great that you swim all strokes and mix it up a bit. Just be careful not to do too much yardage in breaststroke kick drills, and your hips and knees will thank you. :2cents: P.S. They disagree on whether or not to train "race pace," so you will have to decide where your priorities are. If you enjoy training at your top speed, I would recommend listening to The Fortress. You need to swim fast in training if you want to be a fast swimmer. If training as if you were going to compete is not any fun for you, knelson has the right idea. ;)
  • Elaine, hi. I'm a former competitive runner. I never enjoyed competing. I don't compete as a swimmer. I had to edit my post--my total yards per week is 14,000 (I miscalculated!) No injuries, mainly b/c I do all strokes and lots of kick drills. I'm definitely not a sprinter. Like running, I'm more a distance athlete. Ok, that makes a big difference! Now that I have read this post, I would refer you to the posts below by The Fortress and knelson. They both make excellent points. Meanwhile, I think it's great that you swim all strokes and mix it up a bit. Just be careful not to do too much yardage in breaststroke kick drills, and your hips and knees will thank you. :2cents: P.S. They disagree on whether or not to train "race pace," so you will have to decide where your priorities are. If you enjoy training at your top speed, I would recommend listening to The Fortress. You need to swim fast in training if you want to be a fast swimmer. If training as if you were going to compete is not any fun for you, knelson has the right idea. ;)
Children
No Data