Your Weekly Yardage for 50+ age

Former Member
Former Member
I added wrong! I've been swimming 14,000 yards per week for the last 15 years, not 30,000! :afraid:I recently hit 60 and have begun to wonder if my times would improve if I did less yards and incorporated more quality workouts in. Since I have a bit of OCD, I would like your input for those 50 and over. How many yards a week do you put in?
Parents
  • When I first posted I didn't notice it was a poll.I think the numbers are too far apart.There is a huge difference between 10,001 yd/wk and 30,000. I agree. I looked at that and decided not to vote. I swim 4-5 x week and am probably between 13,000-15,000 per week. However, about 50-70% of that is warm up and easy recovery swimming between fast or race pace efforts. As for FUN ala chowmi style, I like to use some equipment to liven things up. Sometimes, I'll throw on paddles, fins & a parachute for 25 yard sprints. Or I'll do some starts + SDK off the blocks with a parachute. I like the bungee cordz too. You can swim out until you hit the resistance and do X number of fast strokes or hold and kick for X seconds. The other day, I wrapped the bungee cordz up so there was very little cord and did some in water plyo streamline jumps/pushes off the wall. If you're OCD and need to count yards, try counting race pace yards instead of total yards. Junk yardage or mindless aerobic sets won't make you faster, but race pace work will.
  • When I first posted I didn't notice it was a poll.I think the numbers are too far apart.There is a huge difference between 10,001 yd/wk and 30,000. I agree. I looked at that and decided not to vote. I swim 4-5 x week and am probably between 13,000-15,000 per week. However, about 50-70% of that is warm up and easy recovery swimming between fast or race pace efforts. As for FUN ala chowmi style, I like to use some equipment to liven things up. Sometimes, I'll throw on paddles, fins & a parachute for 25 yard sprints. Or I'll do some starts + SDK off the blocks with a parachute. I like the bungee cordz too. You can swim out until you hit the resistance and do X number of fast strokes or hold and kick for X seconds. The other day, I wrapped the bungee cordz up so there was very little cord and did some in water plyo streamline jumps/pushes off the wall. If you're OCD and need to count yards, try counting race pace yards instead of total yards. Junk yardage or mindless aerobic sets won't make you faster, but race pace work will.
Children
No Data