Your Weekly Yardage for 50+ age

Former Member
Former Member
I added wrong! I've been swimming 14,000 yards per week for the last 15 years, not 30,000! :afraid:I recently hit 60 and have begun to wonder if my times would improve if I did less yards and incorporated more quality workouts in. Since I have a bit of OCD, I would like your input for those 50 and over. How many yards a week do you put in?
Parents
  • I don't count yardage. It is not important how many yards you swim. What is important is how many strokes you take at race pace. I probably take 800 - 1000 race pace strokes per day, so that's about 4 to 5 thousand race pace strokes a week. Let me give you an idea of what I do. After a 400 warmup, I do two USRPT sets. First set are 50s on the :50 second interval holding :32 until I hit the third failure. Failure means that I go until I cannot hold :32 anymore. When I miss a total of three the set is over. I then rest for 12 - 15 minutes and do it again. The two sets with rest between sets takes usually just under one hour.
  • I don't count yardage. It is not important how many yards you swim. What is important is how many strokes you take at race pace. I probably take 800 - 1000 race pace strokes per day, so that's about 4 to 5 thousand race pace strokes a week. Let me give you an idea of what I do. After a 400 warmup, I do two USRPT sets. First set are 50s on the :50 second interval holding :32 until I hit the third failure. Failure means that I go until I cannot hold :32 anymore. When I miss a total of three the set is over. I then rest for 12 - 15 minutes and do it again. The two sets with rest between sets takes usually just under one hour.
Children
No Data