Your Weekly Yardage for 50+ age

Former Member
Former Member
I added wrong! I've been swimming 14,000 yards per week for the last 15 years, not 30,000! :afraid:I recently hit 60 and have begun to wonder if my times would improve if I did less yards and incorporated more quality workouts in. Since I have a bit of OCD, I would like your input for those 50 and over. How many yards a week do you put in?
Parents
  • This is turning out to be an interesting thread. First, to answer the OP's question: According to my FLOG I swam 459 miles last year so that's an average of 15535 yds/week. If I don't count illnesses, vacations etc, so that I only count weeks in which I was really training the average weekly distance is probably 17K+. Next, I'll add my voice to the chorus of voices arguing that one should pay attention to the quantity of fast swimming, not the quantity of swimming. A practice with 800 yards that are truly race-pace has got to be worth more than a 5000 yd aerobic bu$$ kicking - at least if you are training to pool race anyway. Finally, I'll also vote up Chowmi's post. Inspired by that I offer the following two sets as challenging, fun, and short on distance: Set #1: Get a deep lane. For N = 1..4 Set #2: Get a lane that is deep at one end and shallow at the other, Repeat the following 4 or more times
  • This is turning out to be an interesting thread. First, to answer the OP's question: According to my FLOG I swam 459 miles last year so that's an average of 15535 yds/week. If I don't count illnesses, vacations etc, so that I only count weeks in which I was really training the average weekly distance is probably 17K+. Next, I'll add my voice to the chorus of voices arguing that one should pay attention to the quantity of fast swimming, not the quantity of swimming. A practice with 800 yards that are truly race-pace has got to be worth more than a 5000 yd aerobic bu$$ kicking - at least if you are training to pool race anyway. Finally, I'll also vote up Chowmi's post. Inspired by that I offer the following two sets as challenging, fun, and short on distance: Set #1: Get a deep lane. For N = 1..4 Set #2: Get a lane that is deep at one end and shallow at the other, Repeat the following 4 or more times
Children
No Data