Your Weekly Yardage for 50+ age

Former Member
Former Member
I added wrong! I've been swimming 14,000 yards per week for the last 15 years, not 30,000! :afraid:I recently hit 60 and have begun to wonder if my times would improve if I did less yards and incorporated more quality workouts in. Since I have a bit of OCD, I would like your input for those 50 and over. How many yards a week do you put in?
Parents
  • I'm 66 next week.I haven't gone 30,000/wk since college,usually closer to 10,000,and less if I am focusing on particular drills that are slower(you don't get much yardage in doing vertical kicking or doing 10 BR turns/pullouts in a row.).I swim 4X/wk.I find as I get older that the recovery days are more important. I totally agree that how you swim should be driven by your goals.If your goal is to get is as much yardage as possible,as it seems to be for many fitness swimmers,then you swim as far as you can.If you are wanting to compete,then the workouts need to be tailored to your most important events.
  • I'm 66 next week.I haven't gone 30,000/wk since college,usually closer to 10,000,and less if I am focusing on particular drills that are slower(you don't get much yardage in doing vertical kicking or doing 10 BR turns/pullouts in a row.).I swim 4X/wk.I find as I get older that the recovery days are more important. I totally agree that how you swim should be driven by your goals.If your goal is to get is as much yardage as possible,as it seems to be for many fitness swimmers,then you swim as far as you can.If you are wanting to compete,then the workouts need to be tailored to your most important events.
Children
No Data