ASR Sprint Training for swimmers?

Anaerobic Speed Reserve training for sprint runners boils down to running 10 short sprints with lots of rest. If you don't make the assigned time, stop. If you make all 10 compute a new time. Paper by the originators: jap.physiology.org/.../1955 Summary: sprint42.com/.../ Another summary: www.dshen.com/.../asrspeedcom_ultimate_speed_training.html Does anybody see potential for the pool? The odd distances I can see make implementation tough.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I think that paper is only about predicting times across a range of distances from two measurements. Not really about a training method. The training method mentioned in the 3rd link is similar to USRPT with doing repeats until failing to hit a goal time, but with a lot more rest and no failures allowed. They use the prediction method from the paper to find goal times for various distances to use in practice. It seems like the ASR link I found from your 3rd link doesn't explain their program or have their online calculator anymore so I can't see if you are supposed to reduce the goal time off your peak speed for that distance (As the predicted time is your fastest time for that distance, not a race pace like USRPT). Ideally the anerobic time should be a very short interval but I made the spreadsheet and tested with various 50, 100, and 200m times from meets. Although the calculated aerobic speed seemed way too slow, I found putting in my 50 and 200m times in back and free predicted my 100m times within 1 second. Putting in 50 and 100m times predicted my 200m times within 1-2 seconds. It seems like you can use the spreadsheet for swimming and predict how fast swimmers could do a 25 or 75 etc, or race they have never swum. You could also use it for setting goal times for 95/90/85% etc. effort swims for any distance.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I think that paper is only about predicting times across a range of distances from two measurements. Not really about a training method. The training method mentioned in the 3rd link is similar to USRPT with doing repeats until failing to hit a goal time, but with a lot more rest and no failures allowed. They use the prediction method from the paper to find goal times for various distances to use in practice. It seems like the ASR link I found from your 3rd link doesn't explain their program or have their online calculator anymore so I can't see if you are supposed to reduce the goal time off your peak speed for that distance (As the predicted time is your fastest time for that distance, not a race pace like USRPT). Ideally the anerobic time should be a very short interval but I made the spreadsheet and tested with various 50, 100, and 200m times from meets. Although the calculated aerobic speed seemed way too slow, I found putting in my 50 and 200m times in back and free predicted my 100m times within 1 second. Putting in 50 and 100m times predicted my 200m times within 1-2 seconds. It seems like you can use the spreadsheet for swimming and predict how fast swimmers could do a 25 or 75 etc, or race they have never swum. You could also use it for setting goal times for 95/90/85% etc. effort swims for any distance.
Children
No Data