Broken 200 free interval

If you were to do a broken 200 freestyle swim (scy) as 4 x 50 on (X) interval in a practice setting and add the total time for each of the four 50s, what interval would give you the best approximation of your 200 race time? The interval would depend on your speed, so perhaps I'm asking how much rest you should have between each 50. I recently did 4x50 on 0:45 and went 29, 30, 31, 30. I'm wondering how close I'll be to 2:00 in a race.
Parents
  • I'm pretty skeptical that you'll be able to replicate those four 50's you did with ~15 seconds rest in a race where you replace those three rests with three more oxygen-depriving turns. I do USRPT which advocates training for the 200 with 50's at the 200 race pace. The general rule of thumb would be that you can expect to hold a particular pace in a 200 race when you can do ~16 consecutive 50's at that pace on 20 seconds rest. To break 2:00 in a 200, you'd need to be able to do that many 50's at :30 or less on a :50 interval. That seems a long way from four on a :45 interval. I'm with knelson, I'd expect somewhere in the 2:05 range based on the little data we have. But you never know, sometimes the environment of a meet gets you jacked up and you outperform any pre-event indicators you looked at in practice.
  • I'm pretty skeptical that you'll be able to replicate those four 50's you did with ~15 seconds rest in a race where you replace those three rests with three more oxygen-depriving turns. I do USRPT which advocates training for the 200 with 50's at the 200 race pace. The general rule of thumb would be that you can expect to hold a particular pace in a 200 race when you can do ~16 consecutive 50's at that pace on 20 seconds rest. To break 2:00 in a 200, you'd need to be able to do that many 50's at :30 or less on a :50 interval. That seems a long way from four on a :45 interval. I'm with knelson, I'd expect somewhere in the 2:05 range based on the little data we have. But you never know, sometimes the environment of a meet gets you jacked up and you outperform any pre-event indicators you looked at in practice.
Children
No Data