How far is a mile & Laps and Lengths Defined

Former Member
Former Member
Holy moly, I'm getting confused.... Like all of us, I learned early on that a mile is defined as 5280'. Simple math coverts 5280' to 1760 yards. But now I've read that a mile in the pool is 1500 meters, or about 1640 yards. :worms: I swim at a pool that is 25 yards long, so is a mile 66 lengths (or 1650 yards) of a pool, or is it 70 lengths? I've also heard folks referring to a lap as what I have always thought of as a length...again I swim at a pool that is 25 yards in length....so isn't a "lap" in this case 50 yards (down and back)? Please set me straight! :groovy:
Parents
  • Just curious. Are they called lap counters? Do they count single lengths? That's what everyone I know calls them. And, yes, they count single lengths - all of the odd lengths at turn end of the pool (1 lap, 3 laps, 5 laps...) As far as the auto racing comment - it's much easier to call something a (circuit) lap when you're on a course that has no real beginning or end :)
  • Just curious. Are they called lap counters? Do they count single lengths? That's what everyone I know calls them. And, yes, they count single lengths - all of the odd lengths at turn end of the pool (1 lap, 3 laps, 5 laps...) As far as the auto racing comment - it's much easier to call something a (circuit) lap when you're on a course that has no real beginning or end :)
Children
No Data