How far is a mile & Laps and Lengths Defined

Former Member
Former Member
Holy moly, I'm getting confused.... Like all of us, I learned early on that a mile is defined as 5280'. Simple math coverts 5280' to 1760 yards. But now I've read that a mile in the pool is 1500 meters, or about 1640 yards. :worms: I swim at a pool that is 25 yards long, so is a mile 66 lengths (or 1650 yards) of a pool, or is it 70 lengths? I've also heard folks referring to a lap as what I have always thought of as a length...again I swim at a pool that is 25 yards in length....so isn't a "lap" in this case 50 yards (down and back)? Please set me straight! :groovy:
Parents
  • So if you get "lapped" in a race is that one length or two? It’d be two lengths (one lap). Put simply…if you jump off the blocks and just stop…the other swimmer has to go all the way down and back…two complete lengths (one lap) to get back to where you are and pass/lap you. Dan
  • So if you get "lapped" in a race is that one length or two? It’d be two lengths (one lap). Put simply…if you jump off the blocks and just stop…the other swimmer has to go all the way down and back…two complete lengths (one lap) to get back to where you are and pass/lap you. Dan
Children
No Data