How far is a mile & Laps and Lengths Defined

Former Member
Former Member
Holy moly, I'm getting confused.... Like all of us, I learned early on that a mile is defined as 5280'. Simple math coverts 5280' to 1760 yards. But now I've read that a mile in the pool is 1500 meters, or about 1640 yards. :worms: I swim at a pool that is 25 yards long, so is a mile 66 lengths (or 1650 yards) of a pool, or is it 70 lengths? I've also heard folks referring to a lap as what I have always thought of as a length...again I swim at a pool that is 25 yards in length....so isn't a "lap" in this case 50 yards (down and back)? Please set me straight! :groovy:
Parents
  • At least in the mid-Atlantic and northeast a lap and length were synonymous, but I get the fact that a lap would imply a return to the beginning. So if you get "lapped" in a race is that one length or two? :afraid: Aussie perspective: I've also always used "lap" and "length" synonymously. But if someone is lapped in a race, the lapping swimmer is definitely 2 lengths ahead. Double-lapping is what Commonwealth Games and Pan Pacs silver medalist Mack Horton did to half the field in the 1500m at our State Age Swimming Championships.
  • At least in the mid-Atlantic and northeast a lap and length were synonymous, but I get the fact that a lap would imply a return to the beginning. So if you get "lapped" in a race is that one length or two? :afraid: Aussie perspective: I've also always used "lap" and "length" synonymously. But if someone is lapped in a race, the lapping swimmer is definitely 2 lengths ahead. Double-lapping is what Commonwealth Games and Pan Pacs silver medalist Mack Horton did to half the field in the 1500m at our State Age Swimming Championships.
Children
No Data