Novice Swimmer: Training (endurance) Thoughts...

Former Member
Former Member
Will try to keep short.... 53 year old geezer in good physical shape. currently completed one of two (stroke lessons) as I've not had a swim lesson in 40plus years. I've been in the pool working out for about 6 weeks now....here's where I am: - have recently treaded water for 30 mins, - can do 2 mins hands above water tread, - swam a mile continuous (little wall push) earlier this week via ***/side/free/back stroke sets (each 50 yards) for 1750 yards. super casual pace and felt good at end - not completely fatigued. - today's swim: 250yds *** 7 mins, rest 2 mins, 250yds side 6 mins, rest 2 mins, 205 yards free 5 mins. I'm not getting muscle fatigue in the 250 free...but finish winded - other strokes I could have gone farther. I continually exhale when face down, but am only good breathing (inhale) on right side...I tried to bilateral breath today - crazy difficult for me. and I'm trying to continuously exhale whenever face down. My goal is to be able to swim continuously for a mile or so (freestyle stroke) without stopping....I think my biggest problem is breathing rhythm(??) Any thoughts/exercises to try? When I practice breathing to left I can't barely do a 50! Thanks
  • I had similar hesitation about joining a masters swim group when I saw that one was forming at my Y. At first, I figured it would be young studs who had been at it since 6 years old. But I figured it would do no harm to call the coach and present my situation (yes, I knew how to swim, having learned as a child, but hadn't done any competitive swimming except for the aforementioned mile open water swim). I have a running background, so I'm fit from that. But I wasn't sure whether that would be enough. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how welcoming the coach was--sure, he said, come join us--you'll be fine! And while I was definitely not fast, he was wonderful with everyone, working with newbies like me as well as the advanced people, encouraging, pushing, teaching.... I learned a lot from him. After a while he had to drop the masters group b/c of starting grad school in physical therapy, but he definitely got me started and helped build confidence. I was in other masters' groups on and off, some a better fit for me than others, but mostly good groups each in their own way. My current group is great and the two coaches have a similar enthusiasm and willingness to work with newcomers and slower swimmers that I experienced in my first group. They've definitely rekindled my ambitions (both of them have marathon swimming experience, and have gotten me excited to try some longer swims). So my thought is, if the first group you find isn't a fit, try others. Each group has its own dynamic, but don't give up if if the first one you try isn't what you're looking for. And if you find a coach like my first one--or like the two I have now--stay with them and learn all you can from them. Another thing I realized: not to go too much by a coach's age. The first coach I had was maybe a year out of college. And he was AWESOME! He told me he'd started coaching when he was in high school, and he had a gift for it. It sounds as if you got some good instruction and should be ready to try the masters' team. And as my first coach used to say, "Do the best you can--don't worry about what the others are doing." I sometimes forget this, so I have to keep reminding myself of it.
  • About breathing... I read a good article that stated the biggest problem with breathing is not getting in air, it is getting rid of the air. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it. If you breathe in a big gulp and exhale only a small amount, before too long you have no room for more new air. Make a consious effort to exhale fully with your face in the water. I have this reminder to be a big help when I am coaching.
  • I was exhaling just thru my month when I started a month or so ago....then I started exhaling thru both nose and mouth. Lately it seems I'm primarily exhaling thru nose although I think I'll doing both (nose and month) if I feel I need to exhale a little more right before rotating to breathe. I know my instructor told me to just exhale thru my nose. ElaineK: curious as to your reco'd "both" comment...can you expand as to why? Thanks! If you exhale only through your nose you can't exhale as fast to get a complete exhalation.If you exhale only through your mouth you tend to get water in your nose. As always, King Frog is the FROG! :banana: Thanks, K.F.! :applaud: 'Bloomer, although King Frog came through with the perfect explanation, I was just going to say that it's the most natural way for me to breathe. Actually, I don't even think about breathing anymore, because I feel so comfortable in the water. Every once in awhile, when I'm very relaxed during a cooldown :bed:, I'll focus on how I'm breathing to see just what I'm doing. It always seems to be just an even flow of bubbles coming from both my nose and mouth.
  • a Maters swim team......aren't these guys/gals who have a loooong history of swimming and very accomplished? Masters swimming is about encouraging all adults to have a swimming background.
  • It sounds as if you have found a group that you feel good being a part of for swimming. Stick with it.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    AllenS: Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! That's EXACTLY what I've been experiencing! I've been finding that if I just exhale only through my nose that once I get upwards of 3 or 4 laps (of free) I start finding myself more or less gasping on the inhale and delaying the start of my exhale once face down...a combination that results in "fighting" my breathing rhythm (if that makes sense). So, I think that I'm finding I must also exhale thru nose to not only allow for complete exhalation but also to aid in not allowing air to enter in through my nose which throws my rhythm off...I hope that makes sense!
  • Just curious, is it better to exhale through the nose or through the mouth?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    All: Thanks for the input thus far...very encouraging. I had my second and final (for now) lesson yesterday and we worked a number of drills yesterday to include swimming with a kick board/face down/breathe left. Towards the very end of the hour I donned my swim fins and did a lap of free breathing to the left....the fins help with body position and as a result a bit more effective breathing left. My plan is to continue swimming 3x's/per week and practice back/side/***, and free while continuing to work bilateral breathing....I'm thinking my next swim will be only breathing to my left.....My goal is to become equally proficient left and right as I REALLY want to work towards a 1 mile open water swim within the next year or so! I've intrigued with the comment about joining a Maters swim team......aren't these guys/gals who have a loooong history of swimming and very accomplished? I envision they jump in the pool and swim 500 and 1000's like nobodies business. I'm concerned my current endurance as laid out in my orig post isn't quite enough(???)