Novice Swimmer: Training (endurance) Thoughts...

Former Member
Former Member
Will try to keep short.... 53 year old geezer in good physical shape. currently completed one of two (stroke lessons) as I've not had a swim lesson in 40plus years. I've been in the pool working out for about 6 weeks now....here's where I am: - have recently treaded water for 30 mins, - can do 2 mins hands above water tread, - swam a mile continuous (little wall push) earlier this week via ***/side/free/back stroke sets (each 50 yards) for 1750 yards. super casual pace and felt good at end - not completely fatigued. - today's swim: 250yds *** 7 mins, rest 2 mins, 250yds side 6 mins, rest 2 mins, 205 yards free 5 mins. I'm not getting muscle fatigue in the 250 free...but finish winded - other strokes I could have gone farther. I continually exhale when face down, but am only good breathing (inhale) on right side...I tried to bilateral breath today - crazy difficult for me. and I'm trying to continuously exhale whenever face down. My goal is to be able to swim continuously for a mile or so (freestyle stroke) without stopping....I think my biggest problem is breathing rhythm(??) Any thoughts/exercises to try? When I practice breathing to left I can't barely do a 50! Thanks
Parents
  • I was exhaling just thru my month when I started a month or so ago....then I started exhaling thru both nose and mouth. Lately it seems I'm primarily exhaling thru nose although I think I'll doing both (nose and month) if I feel I need to exhale a little more right before rotating to breathe. I know my instructor told me to just exhale thru my nose. ElaineK: curious as to your reco'd "both" comment...can you expand as to why? Thanks! If you exhale only through your nose you can't exhale as fast to get a complete exhalation.If you exhale only through your mouth you tend to get water in your nose. As always, King Frog is the FROG! :banana: Thanks, K.F.! :applaud: 'Bloomer, although King Frog came through with the perfect explanation, I was just going to say that it's the most natural way for me to breathe. Actually, I don't even think about breathing anymore, because I feel so comfortable in the water. Every once in awhile, when I'm very relaxed during a cooldown :bed:, I'll focus on how I'm breathing to see just what I'm doing. It always seems to be just an even flow of bubbles coming from both my nose and mouth.
  • I was exhaling just thru my month when I started a month or so ago....then I started exhaling thru both nose and mouth. Lately it seems I'm primarily exhaling thru nose although I think I'll doing both (nose and month) if I feel I need to exhale a little more right before rotating to breathe. I know my instructor told me to just exhale thru my nose. ElaineK: curious as to your reco'd "both" comment...can you expand as to why? Thanks! If you exhale only through your nose you can't exhale as fast to get a complete exhalation.If you exhale only through your mouth you tend to get water in your nose. As always, King Frog is the FROG! :banana: Thanks, K.F.! :applaud: 'Bloomer, although King Frog came through with the perfect explanation, I was just going to say that it's the most natural way for me to breathe. Actually, I don't even think about breathing anymore, because I feel so comfortable in the water. Every once in awhile, when I'm very relaxed during a cooldown :bed:, I'll focus on how I'm breathing to see just what I'm doing. It always seems to be just an even flow of bubbles coming from both my nose and mouth.
Children
No Data