Novice Swimmer: Training (endurance) Thoughts...

Former Member
Former Member
Will try to keep short.... 53 year old geezer in good physical shape. currently completed one of two (stroke lessons) as I've not had a swim lesson in 40plus years. I've been in the pool working out for about 6 weeks now....here's where I am: - have recently treaded water for 30 mins, - can do 2 mins hands above water tread, - swam a mile continuous (little wall push) earlier this week via ***/side/free/back stroke sets (each 50 yards) for 1750 yards. super casual pace and felt good at end - not completely fatigued. - today's swim: 250yds *** 7 mins, rest 2 mins, 250yds side 6 mins, rest 2 mins, 205 yards free 5 mins. I'm not getting muscle fatigue in the 250 free...but finish winded - other strokes I could have gone farther. I continually exhale when face down, but am only good breathing (inhale) on right side...I tried to bilateral breath today - crazy difficult for me. and I'm trying to continuously exhale whenever face down. My goal is to be able to swim continuously for a mile or so (freestyle stroke) without stopping....I think my biggest problem is breathing rhythm(??) Any thoughts/exercises to try? When I practice breathing to left I can't barely do a 50! Thanks
Parents
  • Re bilateral breathing... I'm in my 60s--started masters swimming 10 years ago. Have good endurance, no speed but can swim for a long time (5+ mile open water swim in Aug. for instance). A few years before starting masters swimming, I decided to try an open water mile swim--I was an injured runner, swimming while rehabbing, so I gradually developed more endurance and gradually replaced my very slow breaststroke with less slow freestyle so I could finish the race before the officials took up the finish line and went home. :) That went okay--I didn't even finish last (second to last, but not last). After a few years of letting swimming slide, I joined a masters' group out of curiosity. The coach kept pushing me to learn to bilateral breathe--it was VERY hard for quite a while. I typically breathed to the left side, and attempts to breathe to the right resulted in a lot of sputtering and choking. But now it's such second-nature to bilateral breathe that I don't even think about it. While viewpoints differ on the value of bilateral breathing, I'm glad I do it easily now b/c it helps in open water--it allows me to get a view on both sides and recover quickly if a wave smacks me while I'm breathing to one side or another. But that's me--YMMV. Good luck and enjoy!
  • Re bilateral breathing... I'm in my 60s--started masters swimming 10 years ago. Have good endurance, no speed but can swim for a long time (5+ mile open water swim in Aug. for instance). A few years before starting masters swimming, I decided to try an open water mile swim--I was an injured runner, swimming while rehabbing, so I gradually developed more endurance and gradually replaced my very slow breaststroke with less slow freestyle so I could finish the race before the officials took up the finish line and went home. :) That went okay--I didn't even finish last (second to last, but not last). After a few years of letting swimming slide, I joined a masters' group out of curiosity. The coach kept pushing me to learn to bilateral breathe--it was VERY hard for quite a while. I typically breathed to the left side, and attempts to breathe to the right resulted in a lot of sputtering and choking. But now it's such second-nature to bilateral breathe that I don't even think about it. While viewpoints differ on the value of bilateral breathing, I'm glad I do it easily now b/c it helps in open water--it allows me to get a view on both sides and recover quickly if a wave smacks me while I'm breathing to one side or another. But that's me--YMMV. Good luck and enjoy!
Children
No Data