Would you expect

Former Member
Former Member
Would you expect a high school swim coach to know what a split is and why it is important? Last night my daughter was watching my granddaughter's HS swim practice. The assistant coach asked my daughter to time a 500 for a couple of kids. My daughter asked the coach if she wanted splits or just the finish time. The coach said, "Split, I don't know what that is." My daughter explained. The coach then asked, "Why would I want to know that?" Well, I have to give the coach credit for asking. Should a HS coach know this, or do I have an unreasonable expectation?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I don't live close enough to coach the coach. My daughter however, has offered every year to become a volunteer community coach and has been turned down with, "I don't need no help." Daughter's qualifications: She was one of Curt Myers' swimmers (Curt Myers as in Olympic coach and the father of Olympic gold medalist Angel Myers) Qualified for state championship. And I also agree you don't have to be a swimmer to coach swimming but you must know something and must be willing to learn about technique to pass it on.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I don't live close enough to coach the coach. My daughter however, has offered every year to become a volunteer community coach and has been turned down with, "I don't need no help." Daughter's qualifications: She was one of Curt Myers' swimmers (Curt Myers as in Olympic coach and the father of Olympic gold medalist Angel Myers) Qualified for state championship. And I also agree you don't have to be a swimmer to coach swimming but you must know something and must be willing to learn about technique to pass it on.
Children
No Data