Would you expect

Former Member
Former Member
Would you expect a high school swim coach to know what a split is and why it is important? Last night my daughter was watching my granddaughter's HS swim practice. The assistant coach asked my daughter to time a 500 for a couple of kids. My daughter asked the coach if she wanted splits or just the finish time. The coach said, "Split, I don't know what that is." My daughter explained. The coach then asked, "Why would I want to know that?" Well, I have to give the coach credit for asking. Should a HS coach know this, or do I have an unreasonable expectation?
Parents
  • I am not sure knowing how to swim is a requirement. I had an exceptional coach who I never, ever saw in the water and really never knew if he could swim. He knew the sport inside and out, though, and was an outstanding coach. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with my coach. I learned how to swim breaststroke by sharing a lane with the only other breaststroker on the team. I followed her and watched everything she did. I had never swum competitively before high school and had only taken swim lessons for one summer when I was young. Breaststroke seemed to come naturally to me, though, and the coach was eager to fill the slot. My coach didn't teach or coach stroke to anybody on the team. I think she just handled all the rest of her responsibilities by following a coaching manual or getting advice from one of the other coaches in our league.
  • I am not sure knowing how to swim is a requirement. I had an exceptional coach who I never, ever saw in the water and really never knew if he could swim. He knew the sport inside and out, though, and was an outstanding coach. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with my coach. I learned how to swim breaststroke by sharing a lane with the only other breaststroker on the team. I followed her and watched everything she did. I had never swum competitively before high school and had only taken swim lessons for one summer when I was young. Breaststroke seemed to come naturally to me, though, and the coach was eager to fill the slot. My coach didn't teach or coach stroke to anybody on the team. I think she just handled all the rest of her responsibilities by following a coaching manual or getting advice from one of the other coaches in our league.
Children
No Data