Sinking swimmer

I am helping a relatively new swimmer improve their technique. Stan, is a strongly built swimmer with NO natural flotation. When he swims his whole body is below the surface. He holds his breath for many strokes, and has to work on his kick a bit to raise his legs and improve his body position a bit more, but the main issue seems to be his general sinking. I would expect the breathing, kicking and head position would affect him being more horizontal but the sinking is hard to change. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    As someone who learned how to swim as an adult, thank you, thank you for helping a new swimmer. Learning how to swim has been one of the most worthwhile things that I've ever done. I recall the breath-holding and sinking quite well, which initially I incorrectly attributed to low body fat. Of course, many people much more muscular than me are great swimmers, such as Navy SEALs. I came across these links and thought that they might provide some inspiration for those who sink (keeping in mind that most beginners aren't learning CSS!) www.youtube.com/watch www.sealswcc.com/.../showthread.php In retrospect, my problems were due to lack of comfort in the water. My instructor suggested a faster stroke and kick, which was only a short term fix, as I became tired too quickly. Eventually, I learned the importance of head position and looking down. I was pleased to discover that air was readily available, once I learned how to rotate my body and head appropriately. These things I learned over time, after many, many, many trips to the pool. www.sealswcc.com/.../showthread.php Good luck!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    As someone who learned how to swim as an adult, thank you, thank you for helping a new swimmer. Learning how to swim has been one of the most worthwhile things that I've ever done. I recall the breath-holding and sinking quite well, which initially I incorrectly attributed to low body fat. Of course, many people much more muscular than me are great swimmers, such as Navy SEALs. I came across these links and thought that they might provide some inspiration for those who sink (keeping in mind that most beginners aren't learning CSS!) www.youtube.com/watch www.sealswcc.com/.../showthread.php In retrospect, my problems were due to lack of comfort in the water. My instructor suggested a faster stroke and kick, which was only a short term fix, as I became tired too quickly. Eventually, I learned the importance of head position and looking down. I was pleased to discover that air was readily available, once I learned how to rotate my body and head appropriately. These things I learned over time, after many, many, many trips to the pool. www.sealswcc.com/.../showthread.php Good luck!
Children
No Data