Flip turns

Former Member
Former Member
Did a search and couldn't find anything; apologies if this is addressed elsewhere. I really struggle with my flipturns. What I took for granted in my youth is now quite a challenge. I find that I'm much more worn out after a swim if I've done flipturns, and I don't think I swim any faster or more efficiently when I do flipturns. It's difficult to pace myself consistently, so my approach to the wall is the first problem I encounter. I try to have about a foot or two between my outstretched arm and the wall before I begin the turn. Even if I manage to do this successfully, I find myself sinking quite a bit during the turn, so much so that I can't flip in the shallow end of the pool without scraping knees and elbows on the bottom! I'm a distance swimmer, so I'm not sure speeding up will do me much good in the long run. Suggestions for a better flipturn are appreciated.
Parents
  • Word of advice...as you perfect the turn and want to start trying it closer to the wall...don't get too close all at once. Getting TOO close can result in hitting your heels on the side of the pool. I know from experience that it doesn't feel good. Dan
  • Word of advice...as you perfect the turn and want to start trying it closer to the wall...don't get too close all at once. Getting TOO close can result in hitting your heels on the side of the pool. I know from experience that it doesn't feel good. Dan
Children
No Data