Flip turns

Former Member
Former Member
Did a search and couldn't find anything; apologies if this is addressed elsewhere. I really struggle with my flipturns. What I took for granted in my youth is now quite a challenge. I find that I'm much more worn out after a swim if I've done flipturns, and I don't think I swim any faster or more efficiently when I do flipturns. It's difficult to pace myself consistently, so my approach to the wall is the first problem I encounter. I try to have about a foot or two between my outstretched arm and the wall before I begin the turn. Even if I manage to do this successfully, I find myself sinking quite a bit during the turn, so much so that I can't flip in the shallow end of the pool without scraping knees and elbows on the bottom! I'm a distance swimmer, so I'm not sure speeding up will do me much good in the long run. Suggestions for a better flipturn are appreciated.
Parents
  • I agree with Allen that it sounds like there is something inherently wrong with your technique. One to two feet from your outstretched hand would mean you'd crash into the wall if you pulled through with that arm (and you SHOULD be pulling through, both arms should be at your sides when your legs flip over). Watch some videos. Once you get the basic technique down then the remaining thing is timing it correctly so you aren't too far or close to the wall and that will come with practice. One piece of advice I'd give is try not to look at the wall. Instead use the T on the bottom to judge how far away you are. Also use your forward momentum to initiate the turn. On that final stroke begin tucking your chin to initiate the turn. You don't want to be dead in the water when you start the turn and based on your description that could be what's happening to you now.
  • I agree with Allen that it sounds like there is something inherently wrong with your technique. One to two feet from your outstretched hand would mean you'd crash into the wall if you pulled through with that arm (and you SHOULD be pulling through, both arms should be at your sides when your legs flip over). Watch some videos. Once you get the basic technique down then the remaining thing is timing it correctly so you aren't too far or close to the wall and that will come with practice. One piece of advice I'd give is try not to look at the wall. Instead use the T on the bottom to judge how far away you are. Also use your forward momentum to initiate the turn. On that final stroke begin tucking your chin to initiate the turn. You don't want to be dead in the water when you start the turn and based on your description that could be what's happening to you now.
Children
No Data