Flip turns

Former Member
Former Member
Did a search and couldn't find anything; apologies if this is addressed elsewhere. I really struggle with my flipturns. What I took for granted in my youth is now quite a challenge. I find that I'm much more worn out after a swim if I've done flipturns, and I don't think I swim any faster or more efficiently when I do flipturns. It's difficult to pace myself consistently, so my approach to the wall is the first problem I encounter. I try to have about a foot or two between my outstretched arm and the wall before I begin the turn. Even if I manage to do this successfully, I find myself sinking quite a bit during the turn, so much so that I can't flip in the shallow end of the pool without scraping knees and elbows on the bottom! I'm a distance swimmer, so I'm not sure speeding up will do me much good in the long run. Suggestions for a better flipturn are appreciated.
Parents
  • Do you use your hands with the palms facing the bottom of the pool and at your side as you start the somersault, pull hard up towards your face to help speed up the rotation? This will aid in the speed of the flip and then extend your hands forward to streamline out of the turn.
  • Do you use your hands with the palms facing the bottom of the pool and at your side as you start the somersault, pull hard up towards your face to help speed up the rotation? This will aid in the speed of the flip and then extend your hands forward to streamline out of the turn.
Children
No Data