Flip turns

Former Member
Former Member
Did a search and couldn't find anything; apologies if this is addressed elsewhere. I really struggle with my flipturns. What I took for granted in my youth is now quite a challenge. I find that I'm much more worn out after a swim if I've done flipturns, and I don't think I swim any faster or more efficiently when I do flipturns. It's difficult to pace myself consistently, so my approach to the wall is the first problem I encounter. I try to have about a foot or two between my outstretched arm and the wall before I begin the turn. Even if I manage to do this successfully, I find myself sinking quite a bit during the turn, so much so that I can't flip in the shallow end of the pool without scraping knees and elbows on the bottom! I'm a distance swimmer, so I'm not sure speeding up will do me much good in the long run. Suggestions for a better flipturn are appreciated.
Parents
  • ... tuck your head pull both hands forward by bending at the elbows, and somersault. Adding to what Allen wrote, note that he used the word "somersault", not "handspring". You will flip faster and use less energy to boot if you tuck your legs so your knees are at about 90°. (As you didn't post any video, it's obviously not clear what your current turn looks like, but flipping with your legs too straight is a common problem. Also, YouTube has tons of flip turn videos, both demonstration and instructional.
  • ... tuck your head pull both hands forward by bending at the elbows, and somersault. Adding to what Allen wrote, note that he used the word "somersault", not "handspring". You will flip faster and use less energy to boot if you tuck your legs so your knees are at about 90°. (As you didn't post any video, it's obviously not clear what your current turn looks like, but flipping with your legs too straight is a common problem. Also, YouTube has tons of flip turn videos, both demonstration and instructional.
Children
No Data