Swim team training for the longer events

Anyone one care to discuss the hows and whys of swim team training? There’s an aspect I just can’t understand. I’ve been swimming most ofmy life. I began just after high school. I graduated in 1979. In h.s. I was across-country and track distance runner. I’ve never been on a “swim team,” and other than the few open/masters swim meets I’ve participated in…my only competitive swimming has been for triathlons and open water events. I did get a bit of knowledge about swim teams when my daughter was on her h.s. swim team. But what confounds me about swim team (in h.s. anyway) is how the longer swims are handled (500/400 freestyle, and to some extent the 200 freestyle). Frequently it seems that none of the swimmers what to swim in the long events. I’ve even seen on several occasions where the 400/500 isn’t even competed due to lack of interest on both teams. Dumb if you ask me! If I was coach I’d just put someone in there that could finish and get the points. And of course the entire team trains the same way at practice. Why? I guess it’s because of my running/track background. A distance runner doesn’t need to hurdle so there’s no need to train at hurdles. Similarly, in my mind, a (h.s.) distance swimmer (freestyle events) wouldn’t need to butterfly so why train at it? Personally, if I coached a (h.s.) swim team, I’d find a couple of swimmers that would want to train only for the longer events. They’d swim a seperate workout from the rest of theteam, and would always swim the long freestyle events. Why don’t swim coachesdo that? Dan
Parents
  • How many "masters " football or wrestling teams are in effect out there? Swimming seems to be the largest of after HS & college age sports I can think of. Not sure how your question relates to h.s. swimmers specializing in certain events. But.... Football and wrestling I don't know. But I do know that here in Rhode Island...just in the community I live in...there are at least two such leagues for baseball (I know some of the players). They must be all around the country because a friend who plays on one of the teams went to a tournament in AZ last year that had dozens of teams from all over the country. And, because I'm in hockey rinks a lot (my son is on his h.s. hockey team) I know that there are also similar after h.s./college masters-like hockey leagues (for men and women). Dan
  • How many "masters " football or wrestling teams are in effect out there? Swimming seems to be the largest of after HS & college age sports I can think of. Not sure how your question relates to h.s. swimmers specializing in certain events. But.... Football and wrestling I don't know. But I do know that here in Rhode Island...just in the community I live in...there are at least two such leagues for baseball (I know some of the players). They must be all around the country because a friend who plays on one of the teams went to a tournament in AZ last year that had dozens of teams from all over the country. And, because I'm in hockey rinks a lot (my son is on his h.s. hockey team) I know that there are also similar after h.s./college masters-like hockey leagues (for men and women). Dan
Children
No Data