Swimming after Shingles?

Hi, Does anyone have any experience / knowledge about returning to swimming after a case of Shingles? I'm a 53 year old female. Thank you!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    If you get this shot , I have been told to stay away from new born babies for a few months as they might be effected by the shot . The CDC has information on the shingles vaccine here: www.cdc.gov/.../vacc-need-know.htm "It is safe to be around infants and young children, pregnant women, or people with weakened immune systems after you get the shingles vaccine."
  • Yes I do. Is the skin part recovered? No open sores? If all is closed, then you are ok to swim. Make sure to apply some skin moisturizer to keep skin from drying out too much & making you want to scratch - DO NOT SCRATCH!! Also - anyone over 60 can get a shingles shot to keep it from getting you again, I think I also read that it may have been lowered to 55. Check with your Doc. If you get this shot , I have been told to stay away from new born babies for a few months as they might be effected by the shot .
  • Maybe things have changed in the year ago shot I received. The Doc. at Walgreens said to stay away from new borns up to 1 year old. It would be nice not to have to put the shot off to be around kids/grandkids.
  • Hi, Sorry to hear about your shingles -- I had it about 6 mths ago but luckily got on meds in time to keep symptoms minimized. My PCP advised waiting til about a week after all sores were healed (it was on my face around my eye). Check the CDC info provided by Jayhawk, and also ask your doctor. Hope you are feeling better...
  • Door frames are good of that as well.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hi i had a case of shingles in the middle of my back about 10 years ago. It hasn't returned but every time I swim it gradually gets itchier and itchier. I get very funny looks from other swimmers when I pause at the end of the lane and start rubbing my back up and down on the pool side. Ahh.... but it does feel GOOD :bliss:
  • I had shingles the first time, when I was 24. I had it again at 38. Both times were VERY mild cases. Unfortunately, no one will consider giving me the shingles shot, because of my age GRRRR!! Both times I returned to the pool without problems. Good luck!
  • Can you pay for it yourself and not have ins. cover it?
  • The CDC recommends a single shingles shot at or after age 60, when most insurance companies will pay for it, and can be received at the pharmacy or doctors office. The FDA has ok'd its use at age 50, but it generally can only be administered at the doctors office. It has not been approved for folks under the age of 50, and since it is only a one time dose it might make more sense to wait until 60 to get it for many. A surprising number of people develop shingles before 50 as moody mentioned. It is good to know what to look for and get prompt treatment.