Bum shoulder advice

I have rotator tendonitis in my left shoulder that means I can't do the amount of swimming (crawl) that I usually do. The physical therapist said I can do anything that doesn't require an overhead reach, such as breaststroke or side stroke, or a modified backstroke. Any advice on what to do to keep active in the pool while my shoulder heals. My breastroke sucks, btw. Though I'm fine with side stroke. I guess I can grab the old kickboard and kick my way up and down the lane, but that gets pretty boring. I don't own a shower cap, so please don't say water aerobics LOL.:D
Parents
  • Three things.... 1. Let it heal. Let it heal. Let it heal. (Your welcome for the ear worm now.) 2. In the meantime, yes it's boring, but look at this as a huge opportunity for some great kick training. Mix up the tempos and distances just like you would with swim sets. Do them on a certain time. Do the different types. Do some where you're going a 50 hard going to one side of the pool, then cruise back. Or do a set of hard 50's followed by a cruise 50. Make it quality rather than quantity. I've heard of several people who do this and end up having a faster speed after a few weeks of nothing but kicking. 3. Once you do get back into it, have a coach look at your stroke. You may be doing something subtle that is causing the wear/tear. I had a great coach tweak just a bit and haven't had issues since then. Good luck!
  • Three things.... 1. Let it heal. Let it heal. Let it heal. (Your welcome for the ear worm now.) 2. In the meantime, yes it's boring, but look at this as a huge opportunity for some great kick training. Mix up the tempos and distances just like you would with swim sets. Do them on a certain time. Do the different types. Do some where you're going a 50 hard going to one side of the pool, then cruise back. Or do a set of hard 50's followed by a cruise 50. Make it quality rather than quantity. I've heard of several people who do this and end up having a faster speed after a few weeks of nothing but kicking. 3. Once you do get back into it, have a coach look at your stroke. You may be doing something subtle that is causing the wear/tear. I had a great coach tweak just a bit and haven't had issues since then. Good luck!
Children
No Data