Freestyle pull question

Hello, it's been a while since I've been here. Hoping someone can help me with something conceptually. I feel like I've got a decent catch position but I struggle a bit with the pull. I'm trying to understand whether it should feel like I'm pulling water or pushing water back once I get past the catch and start rotating. The difference between the two for me can be as subtle as a the pitch of my hand or how far forward my elbow is. I'm hoping someone can kind of explain to me what it should fee like. I often see video of a sudden scull right after the catch in elite swimmers, and I'm guessing it has to do with some shift between pulling and pushing. For example, when I look at the freeze frames before, it's obvious that in the 3rd photo she is pushing back and in the first photo she is anchoring. Is she pushing backward in the 2nd photo? 919191929193
Parents
  • I would love to have a vasa ergometer, maybe one day. One question I have about it is doesn't the pull pattern change some with rotation? There could be a difference in the pull pattern between your workouts on the Erg and those that you do in the pool if you're not careful about maintaining proper form on the Erg. When I first started using the Ergometer, my stroke started to become flatter in the pool until I made adjustments to my posture while using the swim bench. Now, I focus on driving my opposing hip into the bench, extending my arm fully at the front and finishing completely during the stroke cycle on my Erg workouts. This has allowed me to maintain my stroke and pull pattern in the water. You can even put a rolled up towel underneath of you on the bench for more of a body roll, although in my case this is not necessary. Hope this helps!
  • I would love to have a vasa ergometer, maybe one day. One question I have about it is doesn't the pull pattern change some with rotation? There could be a difference in the pull pattern between your workouts on the Erg and those that you do in the pool if you're not careful about maintaining proper form on the Erg. When I first started using the Ergometer, my stroke started to become flatter in the pool until I made adjustments to my posture while using the swim bench. Now, I focus on driving my opposing hip into the bench, extending my arm fully at the front and finishing completely during the stroke cycle on my Erg workouts. This has allowed me to maintain my stroke and pull pattern in the water. You can even put a rolled up towel underneath of you on the bench for more of a body roll, although in my case this is not necessary. Hope this helps!
Children
No Data