Freestyle pull question

Hello, it's been a while since I've been here. Hoping someone can help me with something conceptually. I feel like I've got a decent catch position but I struggle a bit with the pull. I'm trying to understand whether it should feel like I'm pulling water or pushing water back once I get past the catch and start rotating. The difference between the two for me can be as subtle as a the pitch of my hand or how far forward my elbow is. I'm hoping someone can kind of explain to me what it should fee like. I often see video of a sudden scull right after the catch in elite swimmers, and I'm guessing it has to do with some shift between pulling and pushing. For example, when I look at the freeze frames before, it's obvious that in the 3rd photo she is pushing back and in the first photo she is anchoring. Is she pushing backward in the 2nd photo? 919191929193
Parents
  • I'd rather think of the pull as not pulling but anchoring the arm with high elbow, fingertips down and moving the body past the anchor with minimal drag. If you focus on pulling the arm your attention is in the wrong place, the focus should be on moving the body past the anchor. As far as the pull, anchor first and then increase force gradually and apply the maximum force when the hand reaches the shoulder line through the finish. When the lower arm is forward, I'm pulling. When passed the shoulders, I'm pushing. Just after the arm releases, the other arm is already set up and starts pulling. Thanks for the information. I do try to keep the fingertips down but here is what I have trouble conceptualizing There are certain sculls of the hand it seems that might help me maintain my grip on the water and move past that anchor. Here are more still shots of Sandeno, and what I am having trouble understanding is what happens from photo 1 to photo 2. The fingertips are no longer facing down in photo 2, but she's in more of a thumb up position (which my coach has been trying to get me to do, but I can't seem to make that transition well. It seems to me that as one rotates after anchoring the hand, the position of the elbow and forearm need to change. This is my ongoing conceptual struggle, how to do this effectively. Is there perhaps a little trick someone can advise, something akin to reaching over the barrel with the catch? 9201l9202
  • I'd rather think of the pull as not pulling but anchoring the arm with high elbow, fingertips down and moving the body past the anchor with minimal drag. If you focus on pulling the arm your attention is in the wrong place, the focus should be on moving the body past the anchor. As far as the pull, anchor first and then increase force gradually and apply the maximum force when the hand reaches the shoulder line through the finish. When the lower arm is forward, I'm pulling. When passed the shoulders, I'm pushing. Just after the arm releases, the other arm is already set up and starts pulling. Thanks for the information. I do try to keep the fingertips down but here is what I have trouble conceptualizing There are certain sculls of the hand it seems that might help me maintain my grip on the water and move past that anchor. Here are more still shots of Sandeno, and what I am having trouble understanding is what happens from photo 1 to photo 2. The fingertips are no longer facing down in photo 2, but she's in more of a thumb up position (which my coach has been trying to get me to do, but I can't seem to make that transition well. It seems to me that as one rotates after anchoring the hand, the position of the elbow and forearm need to change. This is my ongoing conceptual struggle, how to do this effectively. Is there perhaps a little trick someone can advise, something akin to reaching over the barrel with the catch? 9201l9202
Children
No Data