NEEDED: fact sheet to explain masters to the age-group alumn

USMS, I want your help! In a nutshell: I'm the master's rep to the board of a cradle-to-grave swimteam. At our last board meeting, we discussed the need to reach out to those kids who finish age-group, but don't swim college, and are left with a giant swimming-shaped hole in their heart. For various reasons, they don't get it that masters is for them. I want to develop, or better yet, for someone skilled in this kind of thing to develop a pamphlet or fact sheet, or whatever it is that kids these days read, that describes Masters swimming to them. I want to describe how ferocious the level of competition is in their age groups. I want to dispel myths that it's just for oldsters like me. I want them to learn how challenging the workouts can be, how they can continue to improve, and that they need not be done with the sport they love. Do any of you have something like this? Or can you suggest material to feed it? THANKS! Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
Parents
  • Few under 30 use it much anymore, so you have to figure out what software/apps they're using and get on those somehow. See if there is someone on your team who is tech savvy I don't even think it requires any tech savviness. Social media is your friend. Does the team have a Twitter or Facebook account? Start posting about masters. I thing the message needs to focus on two things. One, masters isn't just for slow, fat, old people. And, two, masters is whatever you want it to be. Swimming is a tough sport and kids get burned out. You need to let them know that masters can be as little or as much of a commitment as you want it to be.
  • Few under 30 use it much anymore, so you have to figure out what software/apps they're using and get on those somehow. See if there is someone on your team who is tech savvy I don't even think it requires any tech savviness. Social media is your friend. Does the team have a Twitter or Facebook account? Start posting about masters. I thing the message needs to focus on two things. One, masters isn't just for slow, fat, old people. And, two, masters is whatever you want it to be. Swimming is a tough sport and kids get burned out. You need to let them know that masters can be as little or as much of a commitment as you want it to be.
Children
No Data