Labrum tear?

Former Member
Former Member
I have had intermittent aching in shoulder blade with occasional burning in the front of shoulder. Ultrasound today showed no bursitis or rotator cuff problems. Radiologist suggested doctor refer for MRI in case it's a labral tear. I have full range of movement, no pain while swimming or on any arm movement. What is the likelihood that it is a labral tear? Doctor said keep swimming in the meantime but I am afraid of causing more problems while waiting for the MRI scan which could be months away. I have the New Zealand Games in 11 weeks which I was hoping to place well in. Any suggestions or ideas? I am 44 and in otherwise good health.
  • While only a medical professional can comment effectively on your injury, I can offer some advice in terms of your swimming. Since you have 11 more weeks left until the New Zealand Games, you should take the time to find a coach who can provide you with a full stroke analysis. Similar to visiting your doctor for a checkup, a stroke analysis can determine whether there are movements you are making during your swimming that may be putting pressure on your joints, among other things. Even if you are not experiencing pain while swimming at the moment, you may be able to prevent future issues by correcting your stroke now. Here's my full take on why a stroke analysis is important: www.swimspire.com/.../