Swimmer's ear

Former Member
Former Member
I searched this forum in various ways and couldn't find this topic, which I find hard to believe. I think I have swimmer's ear, which is weird, b/c I haven't had that in decades. It seems to hurt at night, then itches. I'm wondering if it's ok to swim or should I wait it out. Do I need any kind of antibiotic ear drops? I usually use homemade drops (white vinegar/alcohol) after swimming, but haven't done it lately.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Renie - this is definitely the mystery of "better living through chemistry"...every body is different and different in how it reacts. My best recommendation is to have a good conversation with your ENT and see if you can't find a way to manage symptoms naturally (don't even know if that's possible for allergies) or with the least side effects possible. My guess is you may have to try different products to find the right one. Or you may even have to switch as you may have developed a tolerance. On another note, have you talked to your ENT about being a mouth breather? Maybe there's something else going on with your sinuses???? LOL - just got my Swimmer magazine and starting thumbing through it. Page 14 - Swimmer's ear....ah ha ha ha. Ok, interesting read, but I still wouldn't use a blow dryer to dry my ear! dulfin, that's funny. A former ENT told me to use the blow dryer. Go figure. Is your Swimmer mag digital? I would love to get that. Do you have a link? I do want to get off the Nasonex. One of the side effects is cataracts and glaucoma. I had Lasik surgery 10 years ago, after being nearly blind most of my life. I've 10 blessed years of perfect vision until recently. Just found out I'm starting cataracts! Ugghh. I have a deviated septum. One side of my nose is almost totally blocked. I had surgery in the 70's. It didn't work. Am not going in for surgery any time soon unless it's life threatening. I suspect that's part of my ENT issues.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Renie - this is definitely the mystery of "better living through chemistry"...every body is different and different in how it reacts. My best recommendation is to have a good conversation with your ENT and see if you can't find a way to manage symptoms naturally (don't even know if that's possible for allergies) or with the least side effects possible. My guess is you may have to try different products to find the right one. Or you may even have to switch as you may have developed a tolerance. On another note, have you talked to your ENT about being a mouth breather? Maybe there's something else going on with your sinuses???? LOL - just got my Swimmer magazine and starting thumbing through it. Page 14 - Swimmer's ear....ah ha ha ha. Ok, interesting read, but I still wouldn't use a blow dryer to dry my ear! dulfin, that's funny. A former ENT told me to use the blow dryer. Go figure. Is your Swimmer mag digital? I would love to get that. Do you have a link? I do want to get off the Nasonex. One of the side effects is cataracts and glaucoma. I had Lasik surgery 10 years ago, after being nearly blind most of my life. I've 10 blessed years of perfect vision until recently. Just found out I'm starting cataracts! Ugghh. I have a deviated septum. One side of my nose is almost totally blocked. I had surgery in the 70's. It didn't work. Am not going in for surgery any time soon unless it's life threatening. I suspect that's part of my ENT issues.
Children
No Data