Swimmer's ear

Former Member
Former Member
I searched this forum in various ways and couldn't find this topic, which I find hard to believe. I think I have swimmer's ear, which is weird, b/c I haven't had that in decades. It seems to hurt at night, then itches. I'm wondering if it's ok to swim or should I wait it out. Do I need any kind of antibiotic ear drops? I usually use homemade drops (white vinegar/alcohol) after swimming, but haven't done it lately.
Parents
  • I was getting at least one ear infection every 9-10 months, usually in the right ear, because the ear canal is small and "oddly shaped," according to one of my doctors, which makes it easier for fluid and wax to build up. I get generic silicone ear plugs and use a new pair every time I swim. I work out three times a week, so I generally need to pick up a box of the things every two weeks. The CVS generic brand is about $6 per box. I also use Mucinex every day to keep my sinuses clear, as well as a generic brand of Zyrtec, to combat any allergy-related fluid build-up. Periodically I use hydrogen peroxide to clean out any wax that might be building up. But the ear plugs are my main line of defense. I use them every time I swim, even if I'm only in the water for an hour. I don't take them out until I've had my shower and dried off. (And I swim at a Y where the water is generally very clean). So far, knock on wood, these precautions seem to be working. I haven't had an ear infection for over a year.
  • I was getting at least one ear infection every 9-10 months, usually in the right ear, because the ear canal is small and "oddly shaped," according to one of my doctors, which makes it easier for fluid and wax to build up. I get generic silicone ear plugs and use a new pair every time I swim. I work out three times a week, so I generally need to pick up a box of the things every two weeks. The CVS generic brand is about $6 per box. I also use Mucinex every day to keep my sinuses clear, as well as a generic brand of Zyrtec, to combat any allergy-related fluid build-up. Periodically I use hydrogen peroxide to clean out any wax that might be building up. But the ear plugs are my main line of defense. I use them every time I swim, even if I'm only in the water for an hour. I don't take them out until I've had my shower and dried off. (And I swim at a Y where the water is generally very clean). So far, knock on wood, these precautions seem to be working. I haven't had an ear infection for over a year.
Children
No Data