Swimmer's ear

Former Member
Former Member
I searched this forum in various ways and couldn't find this topic, which I find hard to believe. I think I have swimmer's ear, which is weird, b/c I haven't had that in decades. It seems to hurt at night, then itches. I'm wondering if it's ok to swim or should I wait it out. Do I need any kind of antibiotic ear drops? I usually use homemade drops (white vinegar/alcohol) after swimming, but haven't done it lately.
Parents
  • My recommendation is clear the congestion first. Then switch over to an antihistamine. I don't take both at the same time. I don't know if it's recommended or not - I just steer clear. And having only one kidney, I monitor meds very carefully. If you also suffer from year round allergies, in order to prevent fluid build up, get yourself on a regimen that will keep your sinuses "dry" (as much as they can be) which in turn should help reduce fluid in the inner ear. And start using eardrops - either a homemade remedy as suggested by others or something like the Similasan to dry the outer ear (ear canal) to prevent swimmers ear when you're swimming. I would also recommend finding a good ENT that can help you manage all of your allergy symptoms and help manage the vertigo and its triggers. Bottom line, I don't really trust a general MD with my ears!
  • My recommendation is clear the congestion first. Then switch over to an antihistamine. I don't take both at the same time. I don't know if it's recommended or not - I just steer clear. And having only one kidney, I monitor meds very carefully. If you also suffer from year round allergies, in order to prevent fluid build up, get yourself on a regimen that will keep your sinuses "dry" (as much as they can be) which in turn should help reduce fluid in the inner ear. And start using eardrops - either a homemade remedy as suggested by others or something like the Similasan to dry the outer ear (ear canal) to prevent swimmers ear when you're swimming. I would also recommend finding a good ENT that can help you manage all of your allergy symptoms and help manage the vertigo and its triggers. Bottom line, I don't really trust a general MD with my ears!
Children
No Data