Swimmer's ear

Former Member
Former Member
I searched this forum in various ways and couldn't find this topic, which I find hard to believe. I think I have swimmer's ear, which is weird, b/c I haven't had that in decades. It seems to hurt at night, then itches. I'm wondering if it's ok to swim or should I wait it out. Do I need any kind of antibiotic ear drops? I usually use homemade drops (white vinegar/alcohol) after swimming, but haven't done it lately.
Parents
  • Renie Ciprodex is an antibiotic and steroid. It's my guess that the reason you haven't needed to take any Ibuprofen is because the steroid is reducing inflammation. My allergy pill is a generic Zyrtec - Cetirizine 10mg. This is an antihistamine. When I need to clear congestion, I use generic Sudafed - Pseudoephedrine 30mg. This is OTC but you have to get from the pharmacist. I almost always take the Pseudoephedrine when I get a cold. Specifically a head cold. I can't always tell when fluid starts building on the ear. However, I DO NOT take both at the same time. It's either one or the other. I also have the misfortune of having year round allergies. Having had ear troubles as a kid, I'm very sensitive to potential problems. I'm not a pill popper by nature and hate having to take something every day. However, in the long run, I know I'm doing more good by sticking to a routine. The nasal spray has really been the key. I don't get nearly the same relief by taking only an allergy pill. Add the eye drops which are also an antihistamine - Bausch + Lomb Alaway, and I'm in good shape. Purely anecdotal, but my Kleenex usage has dropped considerably. This isn't a perfect regimen that I'm on, but it's helping considerably. There are still things that I react to - my sister's cat, the evergreens at my parents house, mold (this time of year is the worst!) and I still get red-faced and runny nose when I go to the office. But the reactions aren't as significant. Since my ENT hasn't seen any signs of fluid on my ears - I'm happy and will be asking him for another Rx for Fluticasone as I'm almost out! Be Well :bliss:
  • Renie Ciprodex is an antibiotic and steroid. It's my guess that the reason you haven't needed to take any Ibuprofen is because the steroid is reducing inflammation. My allergy pill is a generic Zyrtec - Cetirizine 10mg. This is an antihistamine. When I need to clear congestion, I use generic Sudafed - Pseudoephedrine 30mg. This is OTC but you have to get from the pharmacist. I almost always take the Pseudoephedrine when I get a cold. Specifically a head cold. I can't always tell when fluid starts building on the ear. However, I DO NOT take both at the same time. It's either one or the other. I also have the misfortune of having year round allergies. Having had ear troubles as a kid, I'm very sensitive to potential problems. I'm not a pill popper by nature and hate having to take something every day. However, in the long run, I know I'm doing more good by sticking to a routine. The nasal spray has really been the key. I don't get nearly the same relief by taking only an allergy pill. Add the eye drops which are also an antihistamine - Bausch + Lomb Alaway, and I'm in good shape. Purely anecdotal, but my Kleenex usage has dropped considerably. This isn't a perfect regimen that I'm on, but it's helping considerably. There are still things that I react to - my sister's cat, the evergreens at my parents house, mold (this time of year is the worst!) and I still get red-faced and runny nose when I go to the office. But the reactions aren't as significant. Since my ENT hasn't seen any signs of fluid on my ears - I'm happy and will be asking him for another Rx for Fluticasone as I'm almost out! Be Well :bliss:
Children
No Data