Swimmer's ear

Former Member
Former Member
I searched this forum in various ways and couldn't find this topic, which I find hard to believe. I think I have swimmer's ear, which is weird, b/c I haven't had that in decades. It seems to hurt at night, then itches. I'm wondering if it's ok to swim or should I wait it out. Do I need any kind of antibiotic ear drops? I usually use homemade drops (white vinegar/alcohol) after swimming, but haven't done it lately.
Parents
  • dulfin, you use that for swimmer's ear, or after every swim? Renie - I use the drops to help dry the ear which in turn helps prevent swimmers ear which is often brought on by water that remains in the ear canal after swimming. If earplugs are used during your swim, depending on the type, they can also contribute to swimmers ear by damaging the ear canal. Just a word of caution as I've been dealing with an ear issue myself since February. If I'm reading your post correctly, you've been given a Rx eardrop. By any chance was it Ciprodex? Either way, the Rx eardrop as you've described it would prevent infection and not necessarily help with the "fluid in the ear" scenario. You need to dry the ear. When I went to the clinic in February, I too was told I had fluid on the ear and was prescribed Fluticasone (nasal spray) and told to start taking my allergy meds EVERYDAY to help dry out the sinuses. And I've been taking them every day since. Because they're all connected, the only way I can maintain normal is to treat them as a system with the Rx nasal spray and OTC allergy eye drops and allergy pill. I'm still recovering from an eardrum repair I had done in October. (Not related to the fluid on the ear diagnosed in February, but confirmed once the fluid was gone.) When I can get back in the water, I will continue my daily allergy regimen to prevent fluid build up in the ear and will continue the Similasan ear drops to prevent swimmers ear in the ear canal. Hope this helps.
  • dulfin, you use that for swimmer's ear, or after every swim? Renie - I use the drops to help dry the ear which in turn helps prevent swimmers ear which is often brought on by water that remains in the ear canal after swimming. If earplugs are used during your swim, depending on the type, they can also contribute to swimmers ear by damaging the ear canal. Just a word of caution as I've been dealing with an ear issue myself since February. If I'm reading your post correctly, you've been given a Rx eardrop. By any chance was it Ciprodex? Either way, the Rx eardrop as you've described it would prevent infection and not necessarily help with the "fluid in the ear" scenario. You need to dry the ear. When I went to the clinic in February, I too was told I had fluid on the ear and was prescribed Fluticasone (nasal spray) and told to start taking my allergy meds EVERYDAY to help dry out the sinuses. And I've been taking them every day since. Because they're all connected, the only way I can maintain normal is to treat them as a system with the Rx nasal spray and OTC allergy eye drops and allergy pill. I'm still recovering from an eardrum repair I had done in October. (Not related to the fluid on the ear diagnosed in February, but confirmed once the fluid was gone.) When I can get back in the water, I will continue my daily allergy regimen to prevent fluid build up in the ear and will continue the Similasan ear drops to prevent swimmers ear in the ear canal. Hope this helps.
Children
No Data