Swimmer's ear

Former Member
Former Member
I searched this forum in various ways and couldn't find this topic, which I find hard to believe. I think I have swimmer's ear, which is weird, b/c I haven't had that in decades. It seems to hurt at night, then itches. I'm wondering if it's ok to swim or should I wait it out. Do I need any kind of antibiotic ear drops? I usually use homemade drops (white vinegar/alcohol) after swimming, but haven't done it lately.
Parents
  • I use hydrogen peroxide. Here's some advice from the impeccably reliable Cleveland Clinic, Do use hydrogen peroxide. Clean your ears occasionally with a 3-percent hydrogen peroxide solution to remove ear wax that can trap water in your ear. Use about half of an ear dropper full. Let it bubble and fizz, and then turn your head to the side and pull back on the top of your ear to allow it to drain properly. Make sure you use drying drops or your hair dryer to dry the ear canal so that no moisture is left behind.
  • I use hydrogen peroxide. Here's some advice from the impeccably reliable Cleveland Clinic, Do use hydrogen peroxide. Clean your ears occasionally with a 3-percent hydrogen peroxide solution to remove ear wax that can trap water in your ear. Use about half of an ear dropper full. Let it bubble and fizz, and then turn your head to the side and pull back on the top of your ear to allow it to drain properly. Make sure you use drying drops or your hair dryer to dry the ear canal so that no moisture is left behind.
Children
No Data